Headset bushing? Triumph/Raleigh 20

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm in the middle of reassembling a Triumph 20 (so far I've just cleaned and regreased the bottom bracket and put it back together) and it's got a bushing at the top instead of the usual race and bearings. Is there any reason for it being a bushing instead of a regular top cup? Would I be able to convert it to a normal setup? Of course keeping the existing lever/handlebar clamp setup. As when I was pulling the fork out, even after emptying the bearings from the lower half, it was still very stiff to turn the fork.

P_20200727_185625.jpg

I've got the nylon bit with the flange, didn't notice a nylon washer when I was disassembling it. I do have a couple different threaded headsets lying around, I'll try them out.

I just find it really odd that Raleigh would make it this way, cost savings?

So I ended up sticking with the stock setup on the bike, works better after I wire wheeled the rust off the steerer and greased the heck out of the bushing and steerer.
I noticed from the rebuild pics that there aren't enough threads on the fork to convert it.

I noticed from the rebuild pics that there aren't enough threads on the fork to convert it.

Yea I noticed that too, as the clamp needed to be at the very bottom, since the fork has a special compressible cut in it for tightening it against the stem. Adding any stack height wouldn't of allowed me to tighten it properly.

That design has been tried and true. Overseas, people used those bikes as their main transportation, thousands of miles per year. The folders were known as shoppers.

Latest posts

Back