"Hellaion" (Nor Cal Tribute), First Ride! 6/22

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To keep me motivated i have to get this thread started. I'm leaving my crazy but lovable home of 29 years, Northern California. I thought it fitting to build a little something special for the north half of my home state.

DSCN0581 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

38' Dayton frame and various other parts found in the garage, i'll give the whitewall/black combo a try, any opinions? The rubber might not even be savable.

This is the one part i sought after
8711454441_a1be23631f_m.jpg

I had to have one after i saw GoldStreet's.
And one or more of these will be on the bike>
8711461137_6d004f4789_m.jpg

Some inspiration

DSCN0275 by sabbparrish, on Flickr
Seriously, what other color would you paint a Nor Cal tribute bike? ...well except for the green of a certain seven pointed leaf but i still think my color choice is better.

No real name for now, i was thinking Nor Cal Coaster or Left Coaster. Kingfish help me out, i know you are trolling this forum!

Re: Nor Cal Tribute

Cool bike and tribute.
How about "Randy of the Redwoods"
Or "BART Bomber"

1987_randeeoftheredwoods_02.jpg

From one Brent to another, I like your choice of parts so far! GTB :mrgreen:

Hmm. When I think of NorCal colors, I think of black, red, and white. A lot of NorCal merchandise is those colors, with the nautical star. That just happens to be traditional rat rod colors. While on the subject of "traditional rat rod" - not that I'm defining it, because that's against the forum rules, and I'm a rule follower - but while on the subject, when using one white wall tire, traditionally it's put on the rear. I'm not saying you have to, that's just where it's usually placed.

I'll be watching this build.

Where're you moving to?

deven_science said:
Hmm. When I think of NorCal colors, I think of black, red, and white. A lot of NorCal merchandise is those colors, with the nautical star. That just happens to be traditional rat rod colors. While on the subject of "traditional rat rod" - not that I'm defining it, because that's against the forum rules, and I'm a rule follower - but while on the subject, when using one white wall tire, traditionally it's put on the rear. I'm not saying you have to, that's just where it's usually placed.

I'll be watching this build.

Where're you moving to?

Moving to Henderson Nevada, my wife got a promotion offer there and that's where her family lives.

There will definitely be a nautical star or two on this thing and i think i'm with you on the whitewall in the rear, i sometimes just have to try breaking tradition. Doesn't always work though!

kingfish254 said:
Cool bike and tribute.
Or "BART Bomber"

Thanks! i was a little too young to remember the MTV early days, i had to look up Randee of the Redwoods! I think BART bomber might get me on a homeland security watch list :lol: Funny you should mention redwoods, my hope is to make a redwood tank for this bike. Oooh! i got it! "Redwood Roller"

a lot of clunkers were ridden on Bolinas ridge just north of San- Fransisco. it was fast and fun on MTN bikes also. good country to ride!

Troy

I've seen those goosenecks/ stems before. Are they Schwinn? They look great. maybe ashtabula?

good luck w the build, and the move.

The Golden Gate Bridge painters work year round. I'm sure they'd give up a quart or two of that drab red bridge paint for your bike... Now that'd be cool!

Critter1 said:
The Golden Gate Bridge painters work year round. I'm sure they'd give up a quart or two of that drab red bridge paint for your bike... Now that'd be cool!
Interesting! Apparently the painters on the Sydney Harbour Bridge work year round too, they work from one end, when they get to the other it is time to start again...

Luke.

kentercanyon said:
I've seen those goosenecks/ stems before. Are they Schwinn? They look great. maybe ashtabula?

Torrington,
Henderson !! wow that will be a change of pace, love the theme, and I know you will do us proud!!!!

Brentley said:
kingfish254 said:
Cool bike and tribute.
Or "BART Bomber"

Thanks! i was a little too young to remember the MTV early days, i had to look up Randee of the Redwoods! I think BART bomber might get me on a homeland security watch list :lol: Funny you should mention redwoods, my hope is to make a redwood tank for this bike. Oooh! i got it! "Redwood Roller"

How about "Ratwood" ?

Henderson is a nice part of Vegas BIG change from Nor-cal but I like Vegas lived here for about 15yrs now

I'm originally from the East Bay...Contra Costa County to be more specific. I am going to be watching this one.

Maybe you could fit the Golden Bear in the build somehow.

I am also building a bike with a bit of CA tribute. It is No Use For a Name...They were a band from San Jose that lost their lead singer last summer.

kentercanyon said:

It's an aluminum Torrington stem, prewar. They usually run a pretty penny (i think mine was $50) but some parts you just have to have!

Critter1 said:

Actually i found out you can buy that exact paint they use, you just have to be in the market for 100 gallons :shock: Sherwin Williams who makes that paint does make a consumer version called "Fireweed" same color codes but i'm guessing it's not as rust resistant or doesn't contain some special additives.
Those guys need to hurry painting though, i don't know if you have been to look at the bridge from the south side but it is clearly getting a patina.

DSCN0304 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

I'm still a bit under the weather today so we'll see if i will get to and update but i do currently have my New Departure hubs in for a soak.

Nor Cal Tribute Progress 5/14

I finally have progress pics! Here's the wheel work so far on the ND drop center wheels. The weapon of choice was a wire wheel on a drill (i know but hey some of us don't have access to a machine shop... or real tools).
Before:

Untitled by sabbparrish, on Flickr
After:

Not perfect but then again what do i really need for a rat rod with flat black going over the wheels? This isn't a restoration after all!
Preliminary progress on the the chain guard:

And finally the frame after some sanding and filler primer which i just shot over the existing primer. I wish i had more patience though, underneath was a dinged and marred red paint job with white darts, it's still there though if i ever want it. It's just going to take more work to get to now.

Latest posts

Back