"Hellaion" (Nor Cal Tribute), First Ride! 6/22

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Nor Cal Tribute New Pics 5/14

A little bit of progress today, wheels are in black but may need some touching up, it's difficult to get every spot with the wheels hanging.

Untitled by sabbparrish, on Flickr

And an early mock up. Those are obviously not the wheels i will be using, the tires probably will be on though. I'm not crazy about them but i think they will look better with the black wheels and black spokes i have in mind. I did also discover a problem i have which explains the bmx stem and fork that i am not using for this build rather than my Torrington stem.

The forks are new and the newer Ross stem slides right in but the Torrington stem i have is too large to fit inside the steerer tube. The fork is 1" threaded and was mated fine to my Murray Spaceliner. Does anyone know the different quill and steerer tube standard sizes? Is it a new/old thing or regular vs BMX?

Re: Nor Cal Tribute Progress 5/14

Machine Age Victim said:
Brentley said:
Preliminary progress on the the chain guard:

:shock: this looks like the floor in a horror movie :shock:

Rest assured the only thing harmed in the making of this bicycle has been a Hiawatha ladies bike with stage 4 rust cancer. Although i'm sure at some point will be harmed too, probably more than once :lol:

Re: Nor Cal Tribute Badge Design 5/18

I'll be getting ready for a two week vacation coming up; a week of which will be wilderness camping in Zion NP. So, i have bit of prep to do to say the least. Before i do go i will leave you all with a drawing for my head badge. Special thanks to my coworker Jayne for cleaning this up from my original image.

looking real cool man and a drill with a wire brush is a big one I use :lol: :roll: can't wait to see it finished

Woot! Progress time everyone!

I know, i know, i go on vacation and in one day back i have a completely laced set of wheels ready to go. Let me show you those progress pics.

Strange, how did that get there... Those who are astute enough have noticed that the wheels on my mock up are indeed NOT vintage ND wheels. As much as i would have loved to build those wheels i have a move coming at the end of this month and i started counting the cost of new spokes and a final truing at the shop and all the frustration of a first wheel build. For $10 bucks more than the truing and spokes and nipples i have a set of wheels, just as well i am not stuck with the ND 20 tooth cog, tons of options with the 3 flange and snap ring set up, gonna run 14t to start (that's also 1/8" so i can run the dog leg crank and hiawatha sprocket with a vintage chain).

My $4 brand new seat with guts! I think a youth saddle with work fine for my skinny behind.

Handlebars, trimming required of course.

And of course my paint, this is the most i have spent on bike paint in one shot but when you have to have a certain color what can you do?

One parting shot. The stem ain't so pretty but it is the only one i found that i could use a 21.1 ID fork with a 25.4 clamp area, i am really stuck on using those forks though. I'm super happy about the tires, $14 each for 2.4" tires. No issues with fitment either.

Tomorrow i paint!

Re: Nor Cal Tribute Mock Up 6/10

I LIKE IT!! TUFF BIKE MAN!! GTB!! PEACE

Yeah that is going to be one tuff lookin' bike....especially with the "Golden Gate Red" paint and those big black tires! 8)

No paint today, the humidity was up and the temperature was down, that good old June gloom. After driving all over town looking for a wing decal to use for painting i decided to poke around at the local lumber yard after being disappointed by the chain stores selections of redwood. Look what i found in the left over bin for free>

That's a slab of 2x6 redwood, just what i needed. Although the wood was free sadly i had to buy new blades for my grandpa's jig saw so it wasn't that free but cheaper than if i had paid for the wood too i suppose! More progress shots>

That's me trying to save the cuts after we tried a worn jig saw, a dull band saw, and a scroll saw which was out of its league. And now after a solid hour plus of sanding and checking>

Not quite done with it yet, a bit of woodburning is in the works and i'm not sure on what i want to do to protect this from the elements, perhaps oiling it? I know there are water sealers but this is a rat despite what the new wheels and tires may say!

Re: Nor Cal Tribute, The tuff get tuffer.

Quite a bit more work today, i got the chain guard masked. This is just a progress pic. Is this the way it should be done, i have no clue but i think it will work.

Here's the first layer of "Fireweed" red. I have ended up going with the brush method once more, it's been pointed out to me that spray painting a frame is fraught with difficulty and waste. I'd bet half of what you spray ends up on the ground or dissipates in the atmosphere. Not to mention the inevitable over spray, the tubes are close together. Not to say brush painting is ideal but it avoids the fore mentioned problems and saves more of the $27 a quart paint i bought.

Here's what all of you want to see. Rarely have i had an idea for a build and the end result was exactly as awesome in my head as it actually looked. This is one of those ideas, just pictures here for ya.

After stain.

And yes, there is a star on each side. More to come later. It's back to work for me so who knows what i will squeak in during the long week (7 days straight because i laid my weekend right after vacation).

Re: Nor Cal Tribute update 6/18

Not too much report, it's been the usual several coats of paint and then clear. I still have two art pieces outstanding, the head badge and rear fender are in the works but tomorrow will be assembly day! Just because i think every update should have a picture here is one of the chain guard nearly finished. I ended up re-taping and hitting the top rib with some white because there was a lot of red paint bleeding through. Hopefully tomorrow i will have a rider!

Re: Nor Cal Tribute update 6/18

Got the bike back from the shop today, i really need to just buy the dang bearing cup presser! Not close to finished yet but i may have a rider tomorrow. In the mean time check out the assembly pic!

I love how well the black bearing cups set everything off. This thing is riding high especially with the 2.4" tires so i will be looking for a new kick stand. The one i was going to use is from a early post war bike with a lower BB. The headbadge from Ax is coming along.

Badge by sabbparrish, on Flickr

But the rear fender with the Sutro tower line drawing is probably 3 weeks out. I wonder how many people will know what Sutro tower is..? It's becoming an underground land mark, it's going to be a high five for the little bit of hipster in me. (I'll admit to loving single origin estate coffee and a fondness for fix gear frames but i still cut my hair with a number one trimmer!)

Re: Nor Cal Tribute assembly progress 6/21

Love the chain guaed and bars!!! they make a race press? :shock:

Troy

jats said:

Troy

A C-clamp and a couple pieces of wood works as well.

Bike looks terrific, nice work! 8)

sleepy said:
jats said:

Troy

A C-clamp and a couple pieces of wood works as well.

Bike looks terrific, nice work! 8)
usually what i use :D

She's got legs!

First flight today and boy does she have legs! 48/14 gears with a coaster brake gets pretty scary when you get to the top end of the gears, i'm guessing something north of 20mph. Nothing but the usual fitment issues on the shake down ride, tighten this and that and some minor clearance issues with the wheels settling in. The ride is solid and chunky with those 26 x 2.4 tires but they roll fast and handle well even with only 40 psi.

I may have a work around with the chain guard, it wasn't designed to fit this frame but i think if i notch the mounting bracket i can tweak it to fit. I know that's ratty but this is a rat rod!

Oh, and a proper name for this beast, if the moderators don't shut me down. "Hellaion". Ride-able but not finished pics>

Latest posts

Back