* Hello, my name is...* update: NEW ARTWORK (sept 14th)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
intro_2.jpg

Hey guys 'n galls.
My name is Jeffrey and today I mannaged to find some time to select a few pics and write an intro for my very first post on Ratrodbikes. If you find my writing a bit funny, it's because of me being from Dutch origin. Yes, I live in the Netherlands were bikes rule :) Everybody's got one and (almost) everybody uses it (almost) daily. Rain or shine. I am an illustrator/graphicdesigner/artist by trade, but on saturday I'm the cleaner at the citybus-depot, to compensate my extremely picky behaviour concerning choosing my artistic asignments. And, well... we can't draw hotrods and pin-ups everyday, can we?

What else is there to know about me...
In short, I like the visual american culture and music of the 40's 50's 60's, but I am open to so many styles and beautiful things. I play some guitar. I've just passed my mid-thirties last february, and yes ladies, I'm still single...
;-)

Oh yeah, the bikes...
My love for bicycles started early. My parents still have some footage of my very first bicycle-ride. (And fail, resulting in a bloody hole in my head.) It was a bright yellow girlies bike. One I would like to have in my possession soooo much... But it's the 'family-learn-to-ride-a-bicycle'-bike. My first bike was a small chopper. Light metallic blue. Not too different from some of the originals I see here. Don't remember the make but it read 'super deluxe' on the chainguard. After the chopper-craze there was this BMX-thing. I got an MX 400 ('400' as in 400 kilogram...) After that I got a 'real' competition BMX. Lightweight and chromed with red anodized alluminium parts. It read 'REDLINE' but it wasn't one. I remember it being a Japanese competition bike before it's make-over. I loved that bike and used it for almost 20 years! Going to school meant getting a grown-up bike. 10+ And most of em got stolen. It wasn't until the early nineties that I noticed a (new) Schwinn and I was hooked. I started to discover classic bikes in movies like Back to the future. My interest in hotrods led me to buy every magazine about custom cars I could find. An issue of Brittain's 'Streetmachine' depicted a yellow cruiser by Moon-equipment. Complete with Moondiscs. Soooo cool. But it WAS the early nineties and the Electra-beachcruiser-thing had not hit over here. Yet.

Fast forward...
These are a few of my bikes that I'm currently 'working' on:

intro_1.jpg

'Mine'... Well, sort of... The ATB en the Mix are my mom's. I've been using the ATB every saturday to get to my job. I'm currently busy giving it a make-over and it's starting to look really good. The 70's/80's Mix is a true barnfind. The stickers read 'Avanti Mix'. One day bought by my parents ,2nd hand, and literally never used by them. I've been cleaning the bike and it's a beauty allready! The cruiser is mine. It's a Sparta Bullet that I made into a mild custom a few years ago. I've made a fender, a chainguard and a lamppost (or lamp-bracket?) Yet I don't really know how to build bikes (welding), but I'm creative and have lots of imagination ;-) And as often, that is all you need.

I love this forum for being so relaxed, and open to almost every bicycle-style. From cheap (chinese)factory-stock to wild, highdollar fantasybikes. There are some very cool people around here and I'm looking forward to see more of their creative ideas, sollutions, and fabrications. As well as sharing mine.

*** LINKS ***

Check me and my art:
My Space

Check my bikes:
My Intro
My Cruiser
My Atb
My Billet Bullet (RRBBO4)
My Cartboardtracker

Kustom Kulture in Europe posts:
Scrapers Indoor Nostalgia Show (Belgium)
Bottrop KustomKulture Show (Germany)
All American Day Car Show (Holland)

Bicycle-art by E R O S I E and B U T C H (Holland)

Cheers!

Re: Hello, my name is...

Welcome to the forum Jeffrey.

Really liking your illustration style....pure candy for the eyes. :wink:

Welcome!.......GREAT intro!

Thanks guys, for the warm welcome and the nice words. So I guess it's official now. I Hope I'll find the time to socialize, next to tinkering with my bikes while keeping my income flowing steady... I think it's best to keep this thread is a profile by posting pics and storys within my initial post?

For the Ratrodbikebuildoff I'm thinking to enter my Mixte. I've already been busy with my ATB so the Mixte wil be more of a 'fresh start'.

Welcome Jeffrey, You know you are never to young to learn how to weld. As an artist finding welding and metal fabrication as an artistic medium was like opening a whole new world. Ive always customized my things because I was never happy until I personalized them. I love to create things and have often looked at things differently. You look like that type of person judging by your fine artwork. I cant wait to see what you decide to build.

TommyTwoTime said:
Welcome Jeffrey, You know you are never to young to learn how to weld. As an artist finding welding and metal fabrication as an artistic medium was like opening a whole new world. Ive always customized my things because I was never happy until I personalized them. I love to create things and have often looked at things differently. You look like that type of person judging by your fine artwork. I cant wait to see what you decide to build.

Ah, thanks Tommy. You're absolutely right! It's just that I like to do sooo many things ...and welding is not too high on that list. But it IS on it... Right now I'm just focussing on basic bicycle mechanics. To this day I've never pulled out a crank, replaced a sprocket, or changed a steeringstem. I'm learning as I go.
You're right again saying 'looked at things differently'. Walking around and seening things, thinking:' What if I turn this chrome thingy around and put a led in it...' I do think like that.

Oh, and your skeleton bike is amazing! I have seen very few before but non were so well executed as yours. Looking good and looking ride-able (if it just had a seat..)

Ace said:
Is that hotrod playingcard-set in production, or a one of a kind fabrication ? I totally dig it 8) mieters!

Haha, dank U!

This playingcard-set is one-of-a-kind indeed. It's an artpiece I made for the exhibiton at the SINS-2 (hotrod & customcarshow in Antwerp), as a comment on building hotrods in the Netherlands. Everything is handmade, except for the spring in the aluminium clothespin.

Re: * Hello, my name is...* update: NEW LINKS (may 7th)

deorman said:
What's up, mister? Nothing bad, I hope.

Hahah, thanks for asking.
No, nothing bad. I'm just very busy with my illustration- and graphicdesignwork. Which is a good thing after a period of very few assignments. That, and that I don't really have much to say about my bikes except that I loved riding em all summer long. The blue BB got damaged though. On my way to work my foot, wearing a crude workboot, got trapped between the front fender while steering and pedalling. Now, the fender is bent and to fix that I probably have to make a new one. Not looking forward to that...

Hope to return to these rrb-pages soon.
Cheers!

8) Good to hear that you're busy in your chosen field, also that you weren't wearing sandals when you bent your fender. :wink:

TommyTwoTime said:
Hey Herr, Are you working on anything new? How about some updates.

Heheh, If I WAS building a bike I'd probably had a ten-page build-up story about it by now...
; - )

At the moment I'm extremely busy with my Illustrationwork and have some expo's comming up.. For which I'm planning to do a bicycle orienteted piece. I wanted to build a bike for that show but couldn't find the time.

Thanks for your interest.
I'll be back...

I, for one, would be interested in seeing some of your current illustrative work, if it's ready for mass consumption. I am big admirer of your design work.

Thanks for the interrest guys!

Sorry for not hanging around on the rrb-pages as much I'd like to. I'ts just that I've been extremely busy with work after a period of no assignments at all. A period I kept myself busy building 2 bicycles and tinkering with another. Since them being finished I haven't made any alterations except for the to-be-expected-weathering like the damaged paint on the rack on my cartboardtracker, tightening just one loose screw on the billetbullet (there must be thousands on it.. ; - ) I managed to damage the frontfender on the bullet though. While steering and pedaling somehow my foot got trapped bending the fender maybe beyond repair... Still have to fix that.

For those who like to see what I've been doing I sellected projects that were the most fun for me to do. so...

By popular demand : - )

recentwerk_10.jpg

^ flyer for my upcomming expo (the Dirty Dutch show - an expo of visions of eroticism(?) from 10 artistis) as part of:

recentwerk_2.jpg

recentwerk_1.jpg

^ flyer/folder/poster for Route Du Nord - the art-route with more than 25 galeries in Rotterdam-Holland.

recentwerk_11.jpg

recentwerk_3.jpg

recentwerk_4.jpg

^ t-shirt design/cd package - artwork for the rock'n'roll band CC Jerome's Jetsetters.

recentwerk_6.jpg

recentwerk_8.jpg

^ flyer/t-shirt design for the Billy Lee Riley memorial show.

recentwerk_9.jpg

^ flyer for an american rootsmusic festival (rockabilly/rock'n'roll/rhythm'n'blues/blues/swing/etc)

recentwerk_7.jpg

^ flyer for the Hollywood-Babylon expo at Secret Eyes Only.

recentwerk_5.jpg

^ portret of my dear friend Michelle, owner of galery Secret Eyes Only and ^ magazine-illustration for an article about an airplanecrash in my hometown.

recentwerk_12.jpg

^ announcement for Bang Bang Bazooka's drummer-replacement-gig.

Upcoming week I hope to do a bicycle related piece for the Dirty Dutch show...

Latest posts

Back