Help! Ideas for Bicycle Sidecar Project for Dog

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, we decided to start a project for our Border Collie. We all agreed to create a bicycle sidecar for him so we can take him on our long bicycle rides. Do you have any ideas? Appreciate your suggestions.

I would stick with the sidecar idea. One extra wheel not two and all you really need is some flat space. That breed is very adaptive and he doesn't need to be completely enclosed.

check out a welding cart from Harbor freight. lay it flat and remove a wheel and viola!

Most people make a sidecar like a bullet or shell. I think a Roman chariot style sidecar would work well for the dog, with the back open for easy access. Just a flat framework, one wheel and a piece of curved sheet metal and floor would be it.
ef28ccbcd7f8f479bbd53a6d47cc6e0c.jpg

There plans a-plenty for bmx side-hacks on the interwebs. RRB Member @rev106 hosts (hosted?) a BMX sidehack race. Pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/17534977@N00/albums/72157646613057351

Might be easiest for your dog if you just had one permanent sidecar-equipped bike for the pooch, and these things are sturdier if they're welded on rather than bolted on, and it might be fun to mess with one of those for human passengers, too....

I like your ideas.
Is it better if we provide a space for a human passenger in the side car, or should we make it entirely for the dog only?

I dunno; i think i;d be tempted to keep it on the smallish side.... big enough for a person should be more than enough room for a border collie; i think enough room for both might be pushing it a little bit, size-wise?

I dunno; i think i;d be tempted to keep it on the smallish side.... big enough for a person should be more than enough room for a border collie; i think enough room for both might be pushing it a little bit, size-wise?

I would have to agree. That makes sense. Anyway, I need to focus more on the space for the dog and too wide space for my Border Collie is not a good idea

I was thinking about taking one of these smaller sized sections of a shopping cart and making a side car for my Yorkie, however she's so scared of any loud noises she'd be on my lap in seconds riding anywhere with her. I thought because this kind of shopping cart gets deeper towards the rear, it would allow her to lay down and yet still see over the front.

modern-plastic-double-basket-cart-21.gif

I was thinking about taking one of these smaller sized sections of a shopping cart and making a side car for my Yorkie, however she's so scared of any loud noises she'd be on my lap in seconds riding anywhere with her. I thought because this kind of shopping cart gets deeper towards the rear, it would allow her to lay down and yet still see over the front.

modern-plastic-double-basket-cart-21.gif

I like this idea. The fact that it's deep, it'll be safer for the dog. It can sit or lay down whenever he wants to.

There plans a-plenty for bmx side-hacks on the interwebs. RRB Member @rev106 hosts (hosted?) a BMX sidehack race. Pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/17534977@N00/albums/72157646613057351

Might be easiest for your dog if you just had one permanent sidecar-equipped bike for the pooch, and these things are sturdier if they're welded on rather than bolted on, and it might be fun to mess with one of those for human passengers, too....

I'll go for the welded one. It will be able to support even a heavy dog

Guys, I'm also thinking of attaching something to the side car for my dog's safety while the bicycle is moving. Maybe a leash would do? I found this double-ply dog leash when I 'm searching online. I think it'll be a perfect custom attachment to the side car. What do you say? Do you have any suggestions?

it may be a little late for this, but check out the Scandinavian sidebike design. good for up to 100lbs.
I built my own version from the pictures they have on the web site, it works great
BUDBzPcAfpm

BUDBzPcAfpm

Attachments

• sidecar.JPG
    sidecar.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 297

Latest posts

Back