help - schwinn id and value please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok picked this up , ran the serial number thru the schwinn site and it says its a 1959 , but they didnt make this model till the mid 60's - looked on serial number database and it says mid 60's ..confused

the fenders are kinda squared off has original seat , pedals , ect .... nice bike rides well 26 i believe , large frame , chicago made

001_zps008c14e0.jpg

003_zps3d32629d.jpg

007_zps187e1a7c.jpg

008_zps58cafff1.jpg

011_zpsa90633fe.jpg

logo says chicago

this logo - here
011_zpsa90633fe.jpg

coaster brake rear with 3 speed , hand brake on front

Last edited:
The 3-speed coaster was standard on the Giant built lugged frame Collegiate in '87. The Chicago logo only referred to the headquarters. What is the 4-digit number stamped on the headbadge? That will confirm the day and year of mfg.

Last edited:
so then why when i run it thru schwinn site does it say its a 1959 ? wouldnt thier system know the difference>? LOL

If you are talking about SchwinnCruisers.com, that site is not produced by Schwinn and it is full of errors. What is the headbadge number?

That number means it was built on the 43rd day of the year, and although the year digit is not visibile everything on the bike jives with '87.

Schwinn never built lugged frame Collegiates in Chicago. The color, crankset, and other details match the '87 catalog info.

The quality is fine, in fact Giant has built many high quality bikes. In many ways it is better (certainly lighter) than a '60s or '70s Chicago built model. Unfortunately for most Schwinn enthusiasts it isn't nearly as desirable.

That's good since you should be able to sell it for that or maybe a little more. The important thing is that now you know the real ID and potential value!

Schwinn's Chicago factory closed mid-late 1983. They had a Tennessee factory producing lightweight frames for a couple more years then imported everything after that.

The nice thing about Giant made Schwinn bikes is they can be found for very reasonable prices and they are good quality bikes. Sure they are not really collectible at this point in history but for riders they are great. It's not so easy to find Chicago Schwinn's for cheap. Most people believe any Chicago made Schwinn no matter the year, condition, completeness...... is worth a fortune and that any old bike - or old looking bike - is a Schwinn.

The nice thing about Giant made Schwinn bikes is they can be found for very reasonable prices and they are good quality bikes. Sure they are not really collectible at this point in history but for riders they are great. It's not so easy to find Chicago Schwinn's for cheap. Most people believe any Chicago made Schwinn no matter the year, condition, completeness...... is worth a fortune and that any old bike - or old looking bike - is a Schwinn.
- i saw the chicago on the logo and thought it was usa made - failed to read under it says made in taiwan , LOL

- i saw the chicago on the logo and thought it was usa made - failed to read under it says made in taiwan , LOL

It happens. Most people make the same mistake because that Chicago sticker on the frame can be a bit deceiving. Even though it's a Taiwan Giant bike you got it for an excellent price. I would be quite happy to own and ride that bike. The wheel set is worth more than you paid. Even the Sturmey Archer hub and shifter are well worth what you paid for the whole bike.

RODE IT SOME TODAY - ACTUALLY A NICE RIDE

anyone know what handlebar stem size it is ?? need a taller stem

Latest posts

Back