Help! Schwinn skip tooth

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
getting confused.......

This is not a fresh find, I've had this Schwinn for almost 2 years now and cant seem to find anything online serial # wise that helps date it. The schwinncruiser thingy seems to come up with 1952 no matter what I punch in ( as I have many Schwinns in my fleet ) so I have given up hope on that database ( anyone else agree? ) Is there a better database that I can/should use? can anyone help me date this ?

My bike has a serial # of G39005 ( on the bottom bracket )
The crank is a dogleg , skiptooth sweetheart , slack adjusters , locking fork , trussrods , chrome feather chainguard, 26 x 2.125
I always thought all of the above made it a pre-war so that is where the confusion lies....
I know there was a fire that destroyed the records but is there anything that could nail down the year?
( I really like to have an acurate answer to the question " what year is that? " when out and about riding )

some of the pics are kinda dark cuz they are from the night I brought it home on the bike rack near 2 years ago.
( I can post better detail shots if need be cuz its now in my basement and not in storeage garage--- THANKFULLY WINTER IS DONE!! )

THANKS GUYS!!

also not sure if its the original crank or not but if you take it out there should be numbers and letters on the middle of the crank where it should strait up say 2 digit number like 41 ***** or 40 ***** good luck finding it.

Wiki Nick.

The bike is a 40-41(39s had a straight down tube) base DX model that may not or may not of come with a tank etc. The wide rims first appeared in the 1941 catalog. Love that color combo!

cds2323 said:
The bike is a 40-41(39s had a straight down tube) base DX model that may not or may not of come with a tank etc. The wide rims first appeared in the 1941 catalog. Love that color combo!

Agree on '40-'41 for the frame. '41 was the first year of those graphics. Some Christmas '40 bikes had it as well. The feather guard on the '41 DX is usually painted. The chrome feather was used on the deluxe B model bikes from '38-'40. There is no catalog listing for a 2-tone green '41 DX. There is a listing for a deluxe DX in brown and green with chrome rims. (usually painted rims on a DX). Yours might be a variation of this '41 deluxe DX. You should be able to tell if it had a tank by the rub marks (or lack of marks) around the head tube.
I LIKE your bike! 8) Gary

Thanks everybody ! :mrgreen:
I'll have to pull out the cranks and see whats stamped. Doesn't seem to be any tank rub marks that I can see( I'll check again )
It rides so nice! Went for a ride yesterday

Thanks again guys!

I agree with the comments above its a 40 or a 41

Wiki Nick.

junknutz1975 said:
Thanks everybody ! :mrgreen:
I'll have to pull out the cranks and see whats stamped. Doesn't seem to be any tank rub marks that I can see( I'll check again )
It rides so nice! Went for a ride yesterday

Thanks again guys!

Latest posts

Back