Help with Tire Choices.............. Klunker Style

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Got this '35 Hawthorne Frame I thought was going to work well for a Klunker, but either i'm off somewhere or the tires are just too small. There is a lot of room in the rear triangle. Pretty sure this is a 28" frame. Anyone run 29's on these frames?

26x1.95's
index.php

26x2.2 front
index.php

and same 26x2.2 back
index.php

I agree with @Rat Rod with all black. If you do go for something like the gumwall, actually look for Skinwall tires. They are usually better built, lighter with a more tan color. They are also more expensive.

I agree with @Rat Rod with all black. If you do go for something like the gumwall, actually look for Skinwall tires. They are usually better built, lighter with a more tan color. They are also more expensive.
I have Pro Comp III 1.75 skin walls. Get stained a lil quicker and shows more. Havent seen Duro 2.25 skin walls yet tho.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Maxxis Minion DHF 26x2.5 Skinwall, if you actually plan to klunk for real, and if your frame/fork can clear 2.5¨ meat...and, if having a skin- or gum-wall appeals to you.
Maxxis-Minion-DHF-Skinwall-3C-MaxxGrip-Dual-Ply-Casing-26-Wired-Tyre-skinwall-26x2-5-46285-143037-1481256443.jpeg

I´m seeing pretty much all cruiser tires being mentioned upthread; most of those can survive off-road, but they won´t hook up for real trail-riding.

Definitely running this thing off road, I have a whole nother bike for pavement :crazy:

Need something real meetty!

Yeah, measure between the stays, leave a little room for mud clearance or your rims being a little out of true.... and then stuff the fattest real MTB tires you can fit in there. Leave all these tractor/cruiser tires for the JCA street machines, and get something with real trail credentials.

If you don´t like the look/specs of those Maxxis DHF skinwalls, i still think that Kenda Nevegals are the best bang-for-the-buck, all-around trail tires.

I'm a fan of the old Knobbies like RatRod posted. I've got a pair of Kenda K-Rad 26x2.3 that I really like too, smooth on pavement but tread comparable to a knobby tire. I think they make them in 1.95 up to 3" wide, even seen skin wall and white letter too if you look hard enough. I like them better than the Holy Rollers on my 24"

Yeah, BITD, the 70s guys made do with the tractor-tread jawns like Steve posted way up top. But, in this day and age, we have all these awesome, fat, 559/s2-sized trailworthy knobbies, and they look bad¨butt¨ on a cruiser built for blasting trails. If you want an aggressive but cheap knobby, the CTS ¨BFT¨ is tough to beat, although it is pretty heavy. It has oversized Maxxis High Roller/ Kenda Nevegal-esque treads, and it´s a nice´n´meaty 2.4¨.
https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/cst-bft-tire-26-x-2-40-wire-bead-black-black-skinwall
P1020883-800x480.jpg

I had a set on a Husky HD industrial bike that i´d built for klunkin´; i gave the bike to a friend in need, but i kinda wish i´d swapped the tires first. They hook up on the trail like no other $14 tire i´ve ridden....

Like the tread on these.
59256__54400.1403886086.1280.1280.jpg

I wish all tires sold online came with such an awesome photo.
Niagara also has this,
TR3755__74464.1403981698.1280.1280.jpg

https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/cst-big-front-tire-26x2-40-black-steel-bead
its like a buck less, but no pic of tread,
Is it same tread but maybe a thicker carcass and not "folding"?
I have a super thin side wall MTB tire - came on a parts bike. I ride it but it looks fragile.
Also pretty cool review...http://www.mtnbikeriders.com/2012/08/07/cst-bft-big-fat-tire-review-by-jerry-hazard/

Last edited:
Yeah those are all the same tire. CST makes the bft in 26x2.4, 26x4.0, 27.5x3.0, and 29x3.0. None of them are available folding, as far as I know. They are basically Maxxis High Roller knock offs for half the price with fewer options available. I rode trails on then as aggressively as a chubby 49 year old on a coaster-only Cruiser can. The tires could do more than the frame and the rider could, for sure

Latest posts

Back