Her Name's Christine

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Thought I would share my new build. I am building a bicycle version of Stephen King's 1958/57 Plymouth Christine.
Christine.jpg

I'm starting out with this bicycle I found online a couple of years ago. It was for another project that ran out of steam.
Bike.jpg

I removed the decals and replaced the cables with red ones. I no longer have the white seat so I may use this flamed one, or may need to find a "tuck and roll" patterned one.
20171126_135521.jpg

Decals I designed and had cut for the sides of the tank.
20171128_164947.jpg

Christine is a '58, the '57s had a parking lights in the inboard quad light set up (they didn't have time to get the quad lights 48-state approved...so the quad lights came out in '58).

I've never been able to read the book, as Christine is a four-door...I just can't wrap my mind around that choice :headbang:.

Jason

Jason,

I didn't know that about the book. I think I read somewhere the studio had to convert some 57's into 58's because they didn't have enough.

Yes, just found the number - according to Cooter Ben Jones, 325 Chargers were used for the series and 24 for the movie.

Christine is a '58, the '57s had a parking lights in the inboard quad light set up (they didn't have time to get the quad lights 48-state approved...so the quad lights came out in '58).

I've never been able to read the book, as Christine is a four-door...I just can't wrap my mind around that choice :headbang:.

Jason
He didn't choose the car... it chose him. I almost bought a 59 locally a couple of months ago. Wouldn't have been exact, just close enough for me. But I don't need a haunted car, I have 3 to keep up already

I bet it was tempting. I watched video of one on Youtube and it sounded the same as in the movie.

He didn't choose the car... it chose him.
I didn't understand the author's choice...guys often make dumb decisions on whom, or what, they fall for...that, I understand :grin:.

Jason

edit: my HS car was a '66 Sports Fury...I called her Christy :). She probably met a similar demise to Christine after she left my ownership. I bought a replacement '66...but, it has been in my barn for nearly 20years after my little brother blew it up in a joyriding incident :headbang:.

Last edited:

I've never been able to read the book, as Christine is a four-door...I just can't wrap my mind around that choice.

Jason
I read the book about 25 years ago, and you're right, the car was a 4 door. Of course, Steven King changed up cars from books to movies more than once. In the movie Needful Things, the "Devil" drove a 1958 Mercedes but in the book he drove a 1948 Tucker Torpedo.

I didn't understand the author's choice...guys often make dumb decisions on whom, or what, they fall for...that, I understand :grin:.

Jason

edit: my HS car was a '66 Sports Fury...I called her Christy :). She probably met a similar demise to Christine after she left my ownership. I bought a replacement '66...but, it has been in my barn for nearly 20years after my little brother blew it up in a joyriding incident :headbang:.
I got what you meant. I was just being funny. But yeah, it is an odd choice, given what was available at the time. I tend to go for cars that aren't as popular anyways. So anybody who sees me smiling and driving what I love, probably thinks I'm an idiot. Right now I only own one car that I like, a 69 VW bus. Other than that I have an 02 Kia that I bought new , and an 80 Chevy truck. The bus is for general transportation, Kia for long trips and good mileage, and the truck is the household workhorse. One day I will indulge myself and get some vehicles that I can enjoy.

My highschool car was a 74 Chrysler New Yorker, and I wish I had it back. It was haunted too, and hungry for ballast resistors. I always kept one in the glove compartment

...the "Devil" drove a 1958 Mercedes but in the book he drove a 1948 Tucker Torpedo.
That is almost enough to get me to read another Stephen King book :thumbsup:.
It was haunted too, and hungry for ballast resistors. I always kept one in the glove compartment
...anyone that owns a '62-'72 Mopar better have a spare ballast resistor in the glove box...at least there are cell phones now, before cell phones no ballast meant you were going to be walking at some point :bigsmile:.

Jason

Last edited:
Been busy, hope to work on it this week. I picked up this emblem. It will go on the chainguard after some paint touch up.
s-l1600.jpg

Every time I think about the car, that "don't know why I love you" song pops into my head.

Latest posts

Back