BO15 Higgy-o

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna try my hand on my first build off. Picked up this 1947 JC Higgins just because of the patina. Originally red faded to an orange color. With swap meets shut down i'll have to dig through my parts stash to see what i can find. Nothing to crazy here just some fat tires and accessories. I will appreciate all feedback, good or bad. I put together my first rat last summer and caught the bug. I hope i can keep up with some of the great builds you guys put together.
s-l1600.jpg

My brother in 47" Higgins. That is some sweet patina. It looks like Murray was using up their prewar stash when they built these frames or maybe even were built before the war and just set aside.

Can't go wrong with that as a starting point. Glad you joined the madness.

As @Glen said when I posted the first photo of my very first Build Off bike, Beer Boy Delivery,
"Is that the start, or the FINISHED photo?" :grin:

Great patina on that bike! Looking forward to what you do with it.

RaT oN~!

Been cruisin the web looking for parts. Found a few things in my stash to try out. Lots of ideas . Looking forward to putting stuff together.

I also dug out some tires i bought off Ebay a couple weeks ago. Four creme Fat Franks barely used with Four kenda tubes, 40 bucks shipped. Other than a little dirty they looked like new. Also had a set of 26x3 red with whitewalls i may try but i'm not sure they will fit. I had a set of 45mm silver rims with 12 gauge spokes that i'm going to use. I,m considering painting the sidewalls on the rims either white or orange if i use the Fat Franks. More parts in the mail so it may be a couple days for more progress.
20200519_175711.jpg
20200520_195921 (1).jpg

The Franks look good on there. Tell us about how you did your color match on the chain guard. It looks pretty even, like it was sprayed on? This mixing spray colors before application is new to me.

The Franks look good on there. Tell us about how you did your color match on the chain guard. It looks pretty even, like it was sprayed on? This mixing spray colors before application is new to me.
I started with a maroon guard that I removed the JC Higgins lettering with a green scotch bright pad. I just sprayed on Krylon flat orange paint and misted flat black paint over. Before it was completely dry I rubbed it down with 4-0 Steele will. Just kept blending till it looked right. I gave it a light coat of gloss clear when it dryed. I have a set of fenders coming that will need stripped. I will paint them red and use the same technique.

@marshall hudson , thanks for the info. Your technique worked well, great match!
You've got this rat rod bike thing in your blood, I can tell. :thumbsup:

This mixing spray colors before application is new to me.
OJ, use the color wheel. Find the color you want, then look at the primary colors (red, blue, yellow) on each side to get an idea of what you need to make your color.

Akobq.png

For an example, lets say you want lime green. Using just primary colors, lime is physically much closer to yellow than it is to blue on the wheel, so you would mix mostly yellow and a little blue.

Of course it's much easier to mix yellow with green to get lime, but it wouldn't explain it as well. It's not an exact way to match colors, as they mix colors you wouldn't think to change the tone, but it can give you a start.

Killer deal on the Franks!!!!
They look great on there with those rims.

Very nice build! I have one of those frames myself and they are one of my favorites. They remind me of the old Ace (motor) bikes from the 20’s.
48CC51AA-70DF-46A0-8D24-CE40FE019C99.jpeg

Did a little work this morning. I got new bearings top and bottom installed and
20200523_141111_001.jpg
20200523_141129.jpg
20200523_141100_001.jpg
Put some pedals on from my stash and some hubcaps i got last week. I'm working on a beer (for medicinal purposes only) hauler box right now. Waiting on tail lights and lenses and still looking for a headlight.

Latest posts

Back