BO15 High Plains Drifter (The Finish Line)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I impatiently wait for my hub to come back from the shop, reborn as a complete wheel, I decided build a tank for my current rider. I chose to cover the High Plains Drifter in fur, and fastened from the bottom using T-nuts. This tank will have the same wooden center, With T-nuts attaching the tank to the bike. I will spray glue layers of pink insulation foam together to build up the size, then carve and sand the shape I want. Then several layers of latex house paint (to prevent the resin from reacting with the foam) will coat the surface before I glass the tank. Some filler work, primer and maybe a lace paint job will finish my vision. I’ll start a separate thread if anyone is interested in the planned process.
00614C77-91C3-4CAB-8A8B-229A283CBB87.jpeg
7FDF34B9-BFA8-47B2-94EA-58F62B051BDC.jpeg

Sounds like a cool plan to me.

I got a little bit of the “page two flu”, so I did a little bit of work. I glued the fur on to my insert, using spray glue on the body and hot glued the seems. I’m quite happy with how it looks. Hopefully I can head out to one of our bike shops to see if I can find someone to lace a wheel with my 3 speed hub. View attachment 125814View attachment 125815View attachment 125816View attachment 125817View attachment 125818View attachment 125819View attachment 125820View attachment 125821
Awesome!

Worked a little bit on the Sissy Bar brake mount while I impatiently wait for my 3 speed hub to come back as a wheel from the shop. I epoxied an oak dowel inside the copper tubing so I could Bolt It as tightly as possible to the brake. It received a quick prime and paint and now awaits assembly.
2B3204BC-8633-4207-A873-A21CCDD3D7FA.jpeg

While I impatiently wait for my hub to come back from the shop, reborn as a complete wheel, I decided build a tank for my current rider. I chose to cover the High Plains Drifter in fur, and fastened from the bottom using T-nuts. This tank will have the same wooden center, With T-nuts attaching the tank to the bike......

I love your build so far. Have you considered using threaded inserts (see here) rather than T-nuts? T-Nuts are designed to be on the other side of the wood where tightening will pull them into the wood. The way you have them installed they will tend to pull out as you tighten the bolt. Threaded inserts are designed for your type of application.

I love your build so far. Have you considered using threaded inserts (see here) rather than T-nuts? T-Nuts are designed to be on the other side of the wood where tightening will pull them into the wood. The way you have them installed they will tend to pull out as you tighten the bolt. Threaded inserts are designed for your type of application.
Thank is for your interest in the build! I just happened to have some t-nuts so I went with those. This is a really light insert and I did a mock up after being put together, it’s sturdy. I am making another tank for my rider and may use threaded inserts. Thanks for your suggestion!

Latest posts

Back