Highcycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this is a build and may better fit under builds but this section motivated me to buy the darn thing and I miss the activity in this section soooo, here's a little bump.

After seeming all the cool fat bikes here I wanted one for myself but as a tall bike. ever since I ridden one I have been a fan of them. Although I don't care personally for the double frame style you normally see. Although easier to do it just fells sloppy to me. ( that's just me , no offense to double frame tall bike riders :D ) Luckily I didn't encounter any problems some other people have such as cross threaded BB's or poor seating tires. As expected it was grease free but what ever... Gonna tear it apart before I actually ride it. Once it arrived I mocked it up real quick to get a size ref to my current bike.
Yeah it finally arrived!

Mock up next to my current tall bike.

After the size comparison was finished I quickly started planning its facelift. Haha... Lift(pun intended)

A bit further into the planning stage

Splitting the fork for extension .

If you have never bent tubing before and you think you're gonna do it like this.... You're gonna have a bad time!

Starting to tack this puppy together.

It's been raining around here a lot, which has hampered progress on this project but hopefully next weekend will be more productive.

Thorton Melon would be proud!
Tall and Fat
:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luQafRNk ... EC204D895D

fig,black,mens,ffffff.jpg

dracothered said:
May I suggest getting a better set of rubber for those wheels as the tires that comes on them are not that great and may offer rolling resistance of a type you don't want in a tall bike.

A new set are already in a UPS/FedEx truck somewhere headed this way!

Tattoosbyalbert said:
dracothered said:
May I suggest getting a better set of rubber for those wheels as the tires that comes on them are not that great and may offer rolling resistance of a type you don't want in a tall bike.

A new set are already in a UPS/FedEx truck somewhere headed this way!
So you already figured that one out... :mrgreen:

This forum as helped out a lot with certain aspects of this bike. Having only built one other bike with zero experience with fabrication,tube notching and only a knowledge base of welding obtained from extensive reading online (0 actual welding) I learned much as I went along. This bike I'm still learning a lot in regards to frame building (ie; I need to spend a little more time making sure my notched in my tubes all line up properly before I weld them up lol. All in all I'm am not destined to be a famous frame builder but this keeps me outta trouble and is hella fun. 8)

Had some free time so was able to work on this a bit.
Orig rear triangle wasn't working as I needed it too so I decided to make my own

Turned the rear drop outs from horizontal adjustment to a more vert one

Getting it all lined up on my modist Lil jig

Time to mount on my frame

Due to the long nature of the chain stay I'm thinking of putting an additional tube from the bottom bracket to the joint on the chain stay. Any thoughts or advise is welcomed and appreciated!

Good thing you have that extra tall ceiling!
Those bars fit the build perfectly!
Bravo!

In the "finishing " stage of the frame for this bike and there seems to be nothing too note worthy about that so here is a look at this beast shoes. I saw how a few people here have stripped and polished their rims and thought it looked pretty sharp. I wanted to take that idea in a slightly different direction and I am pleased with the outcome.

Laced back up and next to its stock counter part for comparison.

SWEET!!!
Is that copper paint or what?

Latest posts

Back