Hmmm I went to a bike swap and...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   1
Just went over to the Schwinn site and what I thought might happen after the latest grilling from the moderators has indeed happened. You end up with People who collect only Schwinn stuff selling to same collectors. Limited audience because of the narrowness of allowed posts and you end up with very few buyers. Witness post in the classified section. Zero replies and 4 views = 2nd page of the classifieds and basically already yesterdays stuff for sale. Schwinn, while the Chicago stuff is quality - it also is expensive. I posed this question before on that site and of course got eaten alive: but really, think about it " How many Sting Rays do you need? How many Krate's are enough? Can you or do you ride them all? Any of them? How much time do you spend cleaning and maintaining them? Ultimately you end up with a lot of eye candy that you enjoy visually, but can't really ride around and enjoy. Fast forward to today. Tough economy, lots of $$ tied up in your Schwinn collection and not many people buying and NOW even less people looking. It's a shame it had to come to that. We are still in the winter and with so few views and replies, what is the prognosis for the Spring and SUmmer. I see posts grinding to a halt. And all because some Mod got snooty and decided to enforce the letter of the law and do it in a biased manner. Again, it is a shame.

My take on the "Other site"

Joe

I welcome your views and I am sure Steve and the Mods here do to, but be constructive and respectful! 8) 8) 8)

You put that very well, and it was to the point! The other thing that has become the norm. is people running scared and warning other people about their posts.And a couple of "self proclaimed" enforcers or helpers so to speak.Really sad, It was a pretty good site. :cry:

I posted my Troxel leopard stingray seat for sale over there the other day, the mod emailed me and said it's not schwinn so it doesn't belong. I wrote back and said "what seat is schwinn, they were all made by Persons or Troxel!" My post was deleted, I posted it again, somehow it's still there. It's sad that the forum members have to deal with such ridiculous moderators.

Is there a web site for Huffy's? I'm partial to them because that what my family can afford when I was growing up, and by golly I never had a problem with a one of them. The one I got in 8th Grade is still rolling with quite a few thousand miles on it, and Im 35 now.

I got my 2-cents in on the Schwinn forum today...about decals and trademark stuff:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
Please be aware that Schwinn / Pacific Cycle is very protective of the brand’s valuable intellectual property. We are active in stopping the sale and manufacture of unlicensed goods – decals, saddles, etc. Please do not use our trademarks. Thank you.

Isn't this just a case of supply and demand? If you (Schwinn/Pacific) provided a supply there would be no demand for illicit decals and such. Rather than *spending money* going after illicit products it seems to me your company would be better off *making money* by providing what the collectors and restoration people want. The parts available from the '95 Centennial project were fantastic...why stop there? Just my 2-cents. B607

Buck Masterson said:
Is there a web site for Huffy's? I'm partial to them because that what my family can afford when I was growing up, and by golly I never had a problem with a one of them. The one I got in 8th Grade is still rolling with quite a few thousand miles on it, and Im 35 now.
Its pretty funny you say that because thats what i rode when i was growing up now im 41 and my 15 year old son keeps beakin parts on his high dallar bmx, i just tell him to get a Huffy he says no way dad a huffy wont last. So yesterday my wife got him a sticker at the lbs that says i would rather eat worms than ride a Huffy. :mrgreen:

Aw come on Joe ...This is coming from someone who appears to have every little car that was ever made. You never have enough of what you are collecting.....there is just that one more want. When I was young I collected guns . I had 35 pistols and 37 rifles. Did I shoot them all....naaa.They were mine. Loved each and every one. As I grew older I figured some drug addict would eventually break in my house and steal them all. Sold most of them. Its hard for everybody to agree on how something should be run. Sometimes it works and everybody is happy as in the case of RatRodBikes,and sometimes it dosent. Usually after everbody leaves then it will close down or one person with insite will start it back up and make it into a good site again. :lol:

I used to spend alot of time there as did alot of people here and I personally didnt like where the direction was headed it has became over run with off brand bike talk.
while there always was some offbrand talk it had became a totally different place the last 6 months. So I suppose they were trying to get it back to where it once was and over reacted. I still hope it doesnt go away as there are some serious great benefits in its archives.
but in the future we need to start giving Fastback Maniac's Schwinn site (originally built by Rat Rod)some attention. his site could become the best original bike site out there like this place is the best custom bike site.
so sign up there and become active!
http://www.schwinnbikeforum.com

necessaryevil said:
I posted my Troxel leopard stingray seat for sale over there the other day, the mod emailed me and said it's not schwinn so it doesn't belong. I wrote back and said "what seat is schwinn, they were all made by Persons or Troxel!" My post was deleted, I posted it again, somehow it's still there. It's sad that the forum members have to deal with such ridiculous moderators.
you know......this is starting to sound like the l.a. roadsters show where they wouldnt let isky bring in his t :lol: :lol: :lol:

now i know why frank does not like schwinns lol. i have been done with that site for a long time oh well let them do what they want to do. and if pacific would be smart and repop the old schwinn stuff like they should they would not have to worry about chasing people around.

I think it makes a difference when the mods are a part of the community and the conversations. There seems to be more respect to go around when that is the case.

I'm no expert on moderating and I've made my share of mistakes when it comes to being a mod. It's not always the easiest job to try to remain neutral and not always share all of your thoughts. In the words of Sheriff Andy Taylor...you want the members to respect you because of your character, not because of your gun.

I do think that it would be tricky trying to run a forum owned by a brand and having to make sure that the members stick to brand posts only. They are pretty limited as to what they can allow. The thing about this hobby is that the majority of collectors and enthusiasts usually have a variety of brands and styles of bikes so I think that's what ends up making RRB so much fun. You get to share all of your bikes no matter what they are. Each day brings new configurations that keep it all interesting.

Boredom will set in quickly when all conversations center around Schwinn tire sizing and date identification. :roll:

Jeff,
Thanks for the advert. Schwinnbikeforum is not limited to just Schwinn as catagories for off brands, English and cars. Special thanks to Steve for creating it and hope I do a go job improving and keeping it alive. As stated, moderation of a site can be a "thankless job" at times so one must truely love the hobby. An best way to accomplish that is have the mods as collectors themselves. In addition to open communication between those mods and the membership, and members know the identity of the moderators.

Thanks again,

Ric

Rat Rod said:
I think it makes a difference when the mods are a part of the community and the conversations. There seems to be more respect to go around when that is the case.

I'm no expert on moderating and I've made my share of mistakes when it comes to being a mod. It's not always the easiest job to try to remain neutral and not always share all of your thoughts. In the words of Sheriff Andy Taylor...you want the members to respect you because of your character, not because of your gun.

I do think that it would be tricky trying to run a forum owned by a brand and having to make sure that the members stick to brand posts only. They are pretty limited as to what they can allow. The thing about this hobby is that the majority of collectors and enthusiasts usually have a variety of brands and styles of bikes so I think that's what ends up making RRB so much fun. You get to share all of your bikes no matter what they are. Each day brings new configurations that keep it all interesting.

Boredom will set in quickly when all conversations center around Schwinn tire sizing and date identification. :roll:

well as always ive got to say you run a great ship here :mrgreen:
your right about the serial #s and tires sizes going to be the main topic soon :roll:
and that may stop also if you cant buy or discuss aftermarket parts since most of the guys there are into the early schwinns....

Unc,

Just to be clear about the Hot Wheels thing and I have lived by this and everyone in the HW community knows this: I am NOT a collector of Hot Wheels. I am an accumulator of 1/64th scale die cast. You may ask "What's the difference?" The answer is quite simple and it helps define my addiction to all things custom. What you see on the wall and in a few large containers are parts donors for building Custom Hot Wheels. What is hangin on the wall is a 3D data base that allows me to quickly scan the wall for a parts donor car when I am building a Custom Hot Wheels or other diecast. It just kind of works better than looking on a 2D picture library. Collecting is like a drug and is a real sickness. When you are overcome by the need to have one of every color of the same model in NOS condition or in the package - Then your collection is complete and the chase is over. There is then no need to feed the addiction and you find something else to collect to keep it going. As much as it may be hard to admit the idea of collecting is more about the chase than the pot of gold at the end. Sorry to rant on on this reply.

Joe

Uncle Stretch said:
Aw come on Joe ...This is coming from someone who appears to have every little car that was ever made. You never have enough of what you are collecting.....there is just that one more want. When I was young I collected guns . I had 35 pistols and 37 rifles. Did I shoot them all....naaa.They were mine. Loved each and every one. As I grew older I figured some drug addict would eventually break in my house and steal them all. Sold most of them. Its hard for everybody to agree on how something should be run. Sometimes it works and everybody is happy as in the case of RatRodBikes,and sometimes it dosent. Usually after everbody leaves then it will close down or one person with insite will start it back up and make it into a good site again. :lol:

Joe,
You a RLC member? If so want his your screen name on the HWC forums? I have the same additcion to die cast cars and Danbury Classics. Between my bikes and die cast it gets a bit crowded at times (lol). Don't forget another HW days coming up this month. Haven't checked what the special release will be yet. So I better jump over on that forum and get updated. :)

As far as the Americans on the forum are concerned, they have the Constitutionally defined right to pursue their happiness. If that means collecting every Sting Ray or Krate and never riding them, so be it. They probably think a guy with a basement full of bikes that aren't perfectly restored Schwinns is crazy. Here it's the norm.

Latest posts

Back