HodgePodge All Pro... ALL FINISHED!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally decided to dip my toes into the build off this year. I've had these two bikes just sitting around for a couple years receiving little to no attention so I figure this deadline might be just what I need to get something done with'em.
photo-13.jpg

As the photo and title suggest, it's gonna be an experiment in role-reversal. The 27inch wheel just barley fit the fork of the old cruiser but I might still be on the lookout for a replacement. I wanna try and build up both of these at once but I'm sure my interest will be stolen by one or the other.... we'll see. Neither will be as extravagant as I'd like because my funds and free time are quite limited at the moment, but I think I've got enough reserves of spare parts to rig into two pretty fun riders.

Re: HodgePodge X2

yoothgeye said:
I like the whitewall wheelset, that's where my vote goes!
I really think the road bike turned fat tire cruiser will be my favorite as well.... but the cruiser turned skinny tire'd racer will go together smoother and sell faster... so it will probably receive the lion share of attention at first.

Little work done today. I've decided I like the way the BMX style fork looks with the road tire so out the grinder wheel came to stop it from rubbing.
[imghttp://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll168/drizz_09/HodgePodge/photo-18.jpg[/img]
Next up the seat post. The post original to the cruiser had somehow become mangled and bent. It was a smaller diameter than anything in my parts pile so.... out came the grinding wheel again! Someone put the hideous super wide handle bars on this thing and they just happened to be the same exact diameter of the original post!
Step 1: CUT!!
photo-14.jpg

Step 2: INSTANT CHROME LAYBACK POST!!
photo-17.jpg

Next order of business: Brakes

Edit: I realize the post looks crooked but I promise it's only because I hadn't pushed it down in the tube.... It does fit.

I'm thinking gloss red and flat black as the paint scheme for the cruiser turned racer.

Having a hard time figuring out what handlebar setup to roll with. At first I was planning on bringing over the bars from the Raleigh but now I kinda like the way they look on the fat tire boy...

Also got the canti brakes mocked up tonight. Need to rob some cables an levers to get them hooked up.

I almost feel like I'm getting too much done to fast.... But issues always arise down the stretch.

Got plenty done tonight, but shamefully it was all destructive.... Found a stem yesterday that I was excited about test fitting but sadly it was just a smidge to wide... only the story ended there. 20 minutes, a little pent up aggravation from work, and a hammer later I'm now in the market for both a new fork and stem... uhg.

Got past the broken fork tube issue by trimming just enough of the head tube to get down to the threads I need. After getting past that mess I put the original stem back in, a short set of MTB bars, and nicest set of brake levers in the pile. The brakes from the Raleigh made their way over as well.
Front:
photo-20.jpg

Rear:
photo-19.jpg

I'm really starting to like the way this thing rides.

photo-21.jpg

Started stripping paint today. The tentative plan is still gloss red and flat black... but that bare "ugly" metal look has kinda got me by the tail right now... luckily I've still got time to kill before that decision needs to be made.

Need to figure out what I'm doing for the shifter, attention grabbing stick shifter or discreetly handlebar mounted?

Like the tall thin tires on your cruiser! 8)
Nice blend of old and new (chainring/chainguard/fork)
Looking forward to seeing the red and flat black
That should make things "pop"
Good luck to your friend and on the sale

Came up with a plan on the shifter last night and got it mounted up today.
Here's the shifter from the 10speed taken apart. I'll only need half of it!
photo-22.jpg

Trimmed the center shaft down short enough to fit inside the down tube, then drilled two holes. One for the for the shaft and the other for a flush mounted screw to hold it in place.
photo-23.jpg

Mounted:
photo-24.jpg

still need to grind on it a little to get it looking like it belongs, but I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

I don't know how this slipped my mind... but I'll be needing chainring to fit the smaller multi-speed chain. That sucks as this one was really growing on me.

Re: HodgePodge All Pro

Not a ton of flashy progress the past few days... but very satisfying just the same. I've farted around with trying to true up wheels in the past but with only a crescent wrench I've usually made more of a mess than progress. Enter my latest Purchase!!!

photo-25.jpg

This little guy allowed me to make quick work of the wobbly old 27 inch wheels! Not perfect mind you, but pretty dang close with out a truing stand I think.

I'm doing electrical work at another welding shop this week so I tore the frame and fork all the way back down in hopes that they'll allow me to go over a couple cracked welds and put in a new brace where the old kickstand support is now. They're pretty good guys so I think they won't have any problem letting me use their equipment... on the clock hopefully!

Back from the welding shop. Not only got 3 light poles stood/wired... but frame repair as well!

Ugly Kickstand bracket with cracked brazing:
photo-26.jpg

Sawzalled off with round stock cut:
photo-27.jpg

My handywork (its been 10 years since I laid down a bead in highschool... STILL GOT IT!)
photo-28.jpg

Also did a little repair job on the fork(hair line fractures around the axle stays) but they weren't exciting.

Thanks for the feedback. My first inclination was to just cut off the kickstand housing leaving the fender bracket as the brace. After seeing the cracked brazing I decided the whole thing needed to go. I'm much happier with the whole thing deleted.

Got the frame about 85% stripped and started cleaning up all the little bits. Also one of two(maybe 3) pieces I've decided to purchase for the bike arrived in the mail today. Was hoping to get out of the build under $50 including paint but with the need for a new chainring I'll be cutting it close.

I rounded up the last(maybe) of the parts I plan on spending monies on for this build. The only other possible expenditures I could foresee are pedals and tires, Hopefully I'll be able to find a decent set of take-offs for the pedals and the 27inchers limit my options as far as sweet tires go...
Parts:
photo-29.jpg

I want to get the RL off the sprocket but It might just not be worth the trouble since its under the clear coat. We'll see. Also in the photo is the newer/beefier set of cranks I pulled of an old MTB and shined up.

I've just about got all the stripping done I'm gonna get with the wire wheel. Probably grab a can of stripper for the tight places and call it a day tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back