Hoffman EP- Midschool Cool

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after seeing KINGFISH's GT Show score, I got obsessed and couldn't help but start hunting for some midschool flatland goodness. And wouldn't you know, this popped up on my local CL. Got it for a sweet price considering condition and what it came with! It isn't a GT Show, but pretty groovy all the same!

-(2000 yr?) Hoffman EP 19" toptube (A little rommier than the GT show.)
-GT Speed Series 175 cranks! (Same as GT Show, but 10MM longer.)
-GT Sprocket (Might have to track down a GT Flycutter.)
-GT stamped chain
-S&M A.D. bars
-S&M Ditchfork
-Rhynolite rims with Suzie Hubs
-Dyno Hoop-D tires
-Primo Saddle
-GT seatpost clamp
-Hoffman Stem
-Tech 77 locking levers
-DiaCOMP 990 brakes

The 1999-2000 EP came with removable 990 mounts. So you can put them on either the chain stay or seat stay. THis is how I bought it, but I believe it should be under the chainstay, LOL.

It is rare that I show up to buy a bike and the bike goes beyond my expectations. This one did. No buyers remorse here! Looks barely ridden and this hasn't been detailed at all.

Now I need to learn to do some tricks w/o breaking anything on me. This bike is a TANK, I am not worried about breaking it, lol.

Anyone know what the extra plate on the front brake is for?

IMG_4835.jpg

IMG_4847.jpg

IMG_4832.jpg

IMG_4845.jpg

IMG_4850.jpg

IMG_4837.jpg

IMG_4834.jpg

IMG_4842.jpg

IMG_4834.jpg

IMG_4848.jpg

zigzagsworld said:
wow! i use to ride one of those when i was younger

That is awesome. I love it Zig. The theory is guys your age will be looking to buy them again in about 10 years. If you get another sooner, you are ahead of your midlife crisis! :D

Wow that is nice.
Only Hoffman I ever rode was the street one, bash guard frame, heavy as H e dbl. hockey sticks! But it was low to the ground, had fast geometry, and had really strong forks.
Rode great!

Well what have I learned. I've learned that the PO put a 44t chainwheel on this thing, probably what he got with the upgraded GT cranks, and it is a 16 T freewheel on the rear. THis is groovy gearing, EXCEPT, if you want to run the brake where it is suppose to go, which is under the seat stay or on top of the chain stay.

Houston we have a problem. Stock, this came with a 38T crank and 14T freecoaster driver. Which gave one much more room for the 990 brake, and, the luxury to roll backward with out moving your feet. Not huge problems, but it means I have to take off some pretty parts and buy some pretty replacements, because old pitted parts are fine for 90% of my bikes, but not on this beauty.

Anyone have a 38/14 set-up they want to swap me?
IMG_4853.jpg

Latest posts

Back