Hog Boys Boardtracker (Ex-Villiers)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there.
This new post is dedicated to my first boardtrack style bike.
Built (almost) from scratch, I’ll start working on a vulgar female mtb a friend gave me. I’ll be collecting ideas from my favourite racers on this forum. namelly this one that I think reflects averything a rat boardtracker should be:

But thanks to all of you builders.

After building the Fat Man (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=32043) I think I’ve got a pretty good idea of what I want from my board tracker. It will be raw and ugly, no fancy pain jobs, just a plain old rat.

Before I start with the frame, I’ve got to finish cleaning, “restoring” and refiting the engine.
I’ve learned a lot these last few days about this engine and it’s mechanics. Also I’ve found out that this machine I had laying around for 6 year in my garage (and that I bought for 25€) is a MK15 Villiers stationary engine that started being produced in 1953 (yeah!), and that is able to produce 2.5 bhp at 3600 rpm.

All of this time it was just a dark green water pump engine covered with dirt and grease so I could not have understood what it really was. You can find out more about it in http://www.villiersengines.co.uk/html/mk15.html.

I think I can have it running by Wednesday. Meanwhile check out this photos:

This four-stroke engine is equiped with a Villiers vapouriser that allows it to run on parafin besides gas, thus the two parted tank. The carburetor is a Norton Villiers covered with really cool instructions as to it’s use.

By the way, the boardtracker will be named Villiers honouring this english maker.
Keep rollin’

Re: Villiers board tracker

a turbo on a boardtracker? :lol: (i know, its a water pump). pretty cool little engine.

:lol: it looks like a turbo :lol:
Could you guys help me with the transmission issue? How does it work?
I understand the whizzer belt mechanism, but not the chain thing. Is it a centrifugal clutch? Does it have a clutch at all?
When running and if I have to stop sudnelly will I have to cut the engine and then brake? That I'd like to see :lol:
Help me out.
Thanks a lot

Thats a neat motor. I'm using a villiers for mine, but its a 2 cycle. A centrifugal clutch is usually used for chain drive on those sorts of motors. They are simple clutches, let off the gas and it'll disengage so you can brake. If your bike doesn't have a good brake on the back wheel you can use a band brake around the clutch bell if you want.

Thanks guys!
So tell me SSG, if I go for the belt option, I'll have to build a clutch lever that tightens the belt against the tire-free rim making it rotate, right?
Will it not skid?
Thanks a lot.

Have you checked out the Villiers motorcycles?

I also spot Norton on there! Sweet!

I purchased a centrifugal belt drive clutch. So I have no need for a lever. Plus, I'm scared to have a suicide clutch in the city.

I just purchased a belt about 10 minutes ago. I should have it on in an hour or so.

I'm running this clutch-

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200415723

233511_lg.jpg

Oh man.. I'm so jellous.. :shock: I wish I had one of those... :cry:
Great bike SSG. When will we be able to see it runnin'? I can only work on my bikes at night..
Why do you need to have a double stepped pulley?
Thanks a lot

stocksucks said:
Oh man.. I'm so jellous.. :shock: I wish I had one of those... :cry:
Great bike SSG. When will we be able to see it runnin'? I can only work on my bikes at night..
Why do you need to have a double stepped pulley?
Thanks a lot

I want to have the motor centered in the frame which puts the drive pulley too far out to run a belt straight to the wheel. The double stepped pulley will help get that sorted out. I need to get back to work on it, I've been busy working and have a ton of projects going on so I've been neglecting it.

Hey there.
Beau: I live in Portugal. Why ask?
SSG: Got it. I think I'll have to do the same. The engine is too wide, but I'll figure it out once have built the frame (starting today).
I was mocking up the rear wheel assembly and welding two rims togheter will not do. I'll have to space them about half an inch for belt clearance while using the 2.35 fat franks I ordered. How did you do it?

By the way, the engine is ALIVE!
Man what great machines! It did'nt work for the last 6 years or so. After I cleaned it, I double checked all the screws, filled it with oil, gasoline and replaced the spark plug's switch. It started runnin' by the 3rd or 4th attempt.
And man the thing is loud! And dangerous, I was so excited that I got my foot too close to the magneto wheel and it bit of a chunk of my 150€ CAT work boots :cry: , and while trying to stop it I burned my hand at the exhaust window :x ...
But it's all worth it!

I just asked because I assumed you couldn't get that clutch because you were not in the US.

The company that sells them is Hillard.

Although a stepped pulley is fine, having a jack shaft with seperate sheaves will make things a lot easier when you are trying to adjust your drive ratios.

Whizzer Sheaves are available on Ebay from China or India or something.

Give a search.

Hey there.
I'm having trouble in understanding the difference between a pulley and a sheave :oops:
The first is free and the second is fixed? Sorry guys..

SSG: if you bolt spacers between the rim and the belt pulley won't the bolts on the rim harm the air tubes?
Beau: I think I'll have to find one of the centrifugal drive clutches. I already talked to my mechanic and I think he will help me out tonight.

Meanwhile, I've been figuring out the measures on SSG's inspiration pic. I assumed that it was a 26'' wheel and found the remaining measures from there:

The tank was taken apart from the engine and now both await their final destination: the boartracker

I made an outline of the engine's base, got me 2m of 33mm steel tube, built 2 engine mounts that will be welded to the frame and chose the crankset

Found some tubing already bent to form the rear triangle

And got an ugly lady's mtb to start working on

Thanks a lot for the help guys.
Keep rollin'

i was afraid you were gonna have the ugly lady in the pic with the mtb. :lol:

Sheave and Pulley are the same thing.

If you can't find a clutch I could maybe get one sent to you. They are about $65-70 new depending on what you need.

Latest posts

Back