Home made springer front end

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So It has been a while since I have posted here and I have accumulated quite a few bikes and parts since then. I wanted to do something with some of the parts I had laying around so I decided to try my hand at making a custom spring front fork. I like the way it turned out and it cost me about $11.00. I just need a cool frame to put it on now, the one it is on is temporary just so I could try it out.

IMG_1503.jpg
IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

Great use of old parts,looks like you made a springer with out cutting or welding anything.Keep up the good work!! :mrgreen:

I did a bit of welding but probably could have done it without. At some point you just say "what am I doing? I could just weld this together!".

I added another nut below the one I had above the spring. I used a top race nut so this way I can thread it down and choose how much tension the spring has.

at the top of the steer tube is that just a big washer? or part or you bracket? im gathering parts for something like this..all i need is to fab up the top bracket and some rockers for the bottom..im going with 2 26" schwinn forks

jaysmo said:
at the top of the steer tube is that just a big washer? or part or you bracket? im gathering parts for something like this..all i need is to fab up the top bracket and some rockers for the bottom..im going with 2 26" schwinn forks

It's a big washer, while I was looking for some hardware at Lowe's I found those for sale. It's a 1" inner diameter washer that isn't too wide. Works great and didn't cost too much. In fact the springs were the most expensive part.

thanks for the info...im going shopping today.... :lol: you found the spring there too..i got one off of a old MT bike rear suspension and i think it just might work havent mocked anything up yet but looking forward to this week end.

The springs are for a porch spring and cost me around 8 bucks for two of them.
5214820.jpg

You just have to take out the things inside and put them in the pile for later!

Two huh???
So you could use them to mimick a Monark springer!!!!??????

Great job!! This should be posted in the HOW TO forum.

I can dissasemmble the forks and take more photos if you guys want me to make a how to. It would be cool to do one usind both springs.

Latest posts

Back