Hood Rat, done, w/picture overload!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hood Rat, UPDATED with a sneak peak of the color scheme

Cool hoodie brotha!!!
Nice sneak peek, look forward to more!!!

I finished the paint, and assembled most of the bike.

The colors used were rust colored primer, and then the frame got a coat of metallic black. I then used a Duplicolor metallic clear coat on top of it. You can't tell from these photos, but the black really gleams. It makes for a great contrast against the flat rust of all of the parts.

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

This shot in the sunlight is my attempt to show the metallic gleam.

IMG_0850.jpg

On the "tank," I have these "DeVille" signs that I'll be putting on each side.

IMG_0852.jpg

I've got a lot of car/motorcycle parts on here. The hood ornament and the "DeVille" signs are from old cars, and the headlight, the taillight, the horn, the grips, and the saddlebag are motorcycle parts.

I still need to make a kickstand, and I need to finish wiring the lights. I'm not sure I'll wire the horn, and I'm not sure any of it will work on only six volts, but we'll see.

Re: Hood Rat, Built, Painted, and Almost Done!

WILD stuff man !!! Looks like a rocket ship, sit down strap in and take off !!!

deven_science said:

Man, there are a ton of cool parts and pieces on this bike!!
Bravo!

Congrats on a terrific looking bike!! Going to be a tough voting for only three bikes!! 8)

Ah ha! You snuck up on me with this one, my friend! Looking pretty sweeeet.

Devon, I enjoyed meeting you guys out there tonight! You should post up a pic of that crazy bed frame cruiser you had out there!! That thing was insanely cool!

Critter1 said:
Devon, I enjoyed meeting you guys out there tonight! You should post up a pic of that crazy bed frame cruiser you had out there!! That thing was insanely cool!

Ask, and ye shall receive: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56086

deven_science said:
Critter1 said:

Ask, and ye shall receive: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56086

:D That crazy fun! Very 8)

a total, overall, MEAN looking ride! :D Very nice choice of parts and assembly

Re: Hood Rat, Small Details Update 7/5

Most of my time in the shop has lately been making my two scratch built frames, Science #1 and #2, but I did squeeze in a couple of small changes to the bike, and thought I'd update.

I added another car detail to the faux-tank. I got these "DeVille" pieces from e-bay.

IMG_0933.jpg

I then heated up the laid back seat post that I had made, and bent it so that it wasn't a perfect 90 degrees. It's old posture had made it leaning downward, so I re-bent it at a slightly obtuse angle, so that the post comes straight back, parallel to the ground. It makes the seat position more comfortable.

IMG_0934.jpg

Just have to test out the wiring, and then see if I can had the wires a bit better, and it's done!

Nice touches.
I love this build!!!!!

Last couple of touches were done today, and I think I'm ready to call this thing done! Ultimately, the wiring might be better if I had drilled some holes, and hidden them, but I decided against that kind of damage to this frame, and so, that cable from the back light is the only thing that bugs me a little. Overall, I'm very happy with the bike. I snapped just a couple of shots, as the light was wrong today. I'm hoping to get some good shots of the finished product tomorrow, but in the meantime, here's what I did.

I got a shot of the kickstand. The one I wanted to use was too long, so I heated it up, and bent it until it fit! Then I put some primer on it, same as all the other parts:

IMG_0983.jpg

The one shot of the finished bike, with better shots coming soon:

IMG_0984.jpg

Latest posts

Back