Hotrod Hobbyhorse crosses the finish line!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The past few months have been a whirlwind for me. I graduated college in May (BFA Musicology), moved to Glencoe Il in early June, just got engaged to my sweetie a few weeks ago, and will be starting a new job as a Luthier for a private violin workshop next week. My entry has been in Milwaukee, and since I moved out I have not had the time to complete all the details, nor the space to bring it here to work (much to my dismay). Although it's not 'all I had imagined', here is what I wound up with.

This machine was a 'modern' take on the classic hobby horse, an early form of the bicycle as we know it today. This is from the age before chain and sprocket, so your propulsion is whatever's at the end of your ankles. Please check out my build thread for more history, concept, and even a video of this thing in action :)

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2533.jpg

And my build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=39682

Thanks guys, sorry I couldn't do a little more and petered out near the end here, but this horse is crossing the finish line!

Was it KOTA that had the good idea for filling the bottom bracket hole with recessed closet door pulls he got at Home Depot? they might look good on this "bike".

Thanks guys! And Skip, may I say, I'm diggin your beautiful full fendered yellow beastie this year!

I had so many parts I never got around to installing as I just couldn't find a place to keep this project around where I live now. I have a horse head all ready for the headbadge, fender skirts, 'pin striping' to be done to the front fork, a unicycle saddle to figure out mounting for (it has a seatpost intergral with the under-pan, never got around to getting it sorted), and door knobs, the start of a swinging 'foot stand' and a few other goodies to use to plug the bottom bracket holes. My regrets are that I simply couldn't arrange a work/storage space for this project after May, and that I never got it totally up to where I feel it should be. It's now destined to sit around a dingy basement in my old apartment in Milwaukee, maybe someday someone will discover it and take it for a run 8)

Latest posts

Back