How long can you get away with having a bike in the house?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had bikes in and out of the house all the time. My room has at least 4 wheel sets laying in there. When it's cold my room turns into my workshop then in the summer it all goes back out to the shed. Normally my most expensive bike stays in the house but right now it won't fit in the door.

Funny that you should post this today.

I just walked into the "computer room" and was looking at the bikes sitting inside the room, and was thinking how unusual this used to be.

Actually with all the other bikes we have, we have not found a good place to store the new ones, so they have ended up inside the house since we got them.

Each time we ride them, I have been wiping the tires down before taking them off the car rack and pushing them inside! :shock:

I guess this does not qualify for your experiment. Photos taken outside.

image2775.jpg

image2774.jpg

just wondering if any RATBIKES have slept inside? looks like just the pretty restored ones come inside. :D
see if your spouses head explodes :wink:

All I can say is WOW! Jerry, your work with a rattle can is amazing! Any chance you have a build thread of your conversion from light blue to black & red? :D
jerrykr said:
I think the thread was on how long you can get away with having a bike in the house, not "Show us the bikes you keep in a safe in your house"!

Pudge said:
All I can say is WOW! Jerry, your work with a rattle can is amazing! Any chance you have a build thread of your conversion from light blue to black & red? :D

I think the thread was on how long you can get away with having a bike in the house, not "Show us the bikes you keep in a safe in your house"!
I know, I don't qualify for youth's challenge. :D Neglected to mention, that Ms jerrykr puts them inside while I clean the tires! :D :D
I changed the red/black one to the celeste color..... the graphics were the hard part!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Being that I typically have my bikes or parts shipped to me and my wife is currently a 'stay at home mom', total time with new stuff to be a secret = zero. Maybe I should start having stuff sent to me at work instead? :wink:

She's cool with me mounting tires or taping off pinstripes or fenders in the family room, as long as they're gone by morning. :mrgreen:

This is the last 'bike' that was in 'the house', my first 'rat rod' during the first mock up, the FatBelly Bobber.
firstmockup4.jpg

Most of the work is done in the basement 'lab', bikes out of sight, are bike out of mind. :roll:

Good luck to all of us.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Okay...straight 8 has been in the office since last night an no mention of it.

I thought earlier today it would be over when my wife and daughter stood next to it talking and my daughter started asking me questions about the bike. :shock:

Miraculously my wife didn't say a thing. I at least expected a...."What are doing with this in here?" :lol:

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Being that I typically have my bikes or parts shipped to me and my wife is currently a 'stay at home mom', total time with new stuff to be a secret = zero. Maybe I should start having stuff sent to me at work instead? :wink:

She's cool with me mounting tires or taping off pinstripes or fenders in the family room, as long as they're gone by morning. :mrgreen:

This is the last 'bike' that was in 'the house', my first 'rat rod' during the first mock up, the FatBelly Bobber.
firstmockup4.jpg

Most of the work is done in the basement 'lab', bikes out of sight, are bike out of mind. :roll:

Good luck to all of us.

Cheers,
Dr. T
Dr T. Ship To work is the only way!!!!

1918 Ranger

Rat Rod said:
Miraculously my wife didn't say a thing. I at least expected a...."What are doing with this in here?" :lol:

Good work! I'm thinking about fixing the tire on my bike tonight just to put the odds in my wife's favor... don't want this to be too easy.

A couple hours max. She has even gone as far asking if I moved the bike out to the shed or garage before I climb in bed. 90% of the time I have to go move the bike, and I just thought she was asleep. Oh well she puts up with a lot from me so I can move a bike or parts.

My Dad's a neat freak so having a bike in the house is a BIG no no! :lol:

Ok, so I fit this description in two ways. First, I had my mountain bike in a spare room that sits between the kitchen and living room. That one stays indoors because it cost a boatload of cash. I wouldn't say it's a dining room because we have a small couch and bookshelves in there. So then I got into building cruisers after my wife asked for one. Now, there's four bikes in there. I also have a bike in front of the fireplace, and two upstaires in the spare bedroom, (three total rooms upstairs) We live in a townhouse with a one car garage so it's a space thing. My wife said I should find a spot for these bikes and get them out of the house. After fussing at me a while, I said, "why don't we park your BMW outside of the garage, and I'll keep the bikes in there?" She got this blank stare in her eyes, and that was the last time she said a word about the bikes! It works out ok I guess. I work at night so when she gets up in the morning, I get up and work in the garage. I have to clean everything up before leaving for work so she can pull in when she gets home.

In closing, try to push the envelope as far as you can, then back off a hair to supress your partner's complaints. Do this several times, and before you know it, her threshold of what she puts up with has doubled! Always be loving and caring, and they will put up with all your craziness.

My wife's road bike spends more time in the house than any other bike. Hard for her to grip about any other bikes.

I have slowly introduced my Fiance into my obsessive bike habit. First I'd leave a pile of small parts in my room and she didn't mind, then a wheel set, then a complete bike. She's pretty understanding but still wants to get a place with a large garage or a barn. Most times when she's over I put the complete bikes back out in the shed but when I had my Trek it stayed in the house unless it was being ridden (security). And when I had my bike rack I always kept two in the house on it. I still have a ton of parts inside and in view. Like I tell her it brings in extra cash that I use to take her out so she's okay with it. Also I am working on a plan, I've built her a Schwinn Hollywood for Christmas, Bought her a modern aluminum frame Iron Horse for her birthday, and I'm working on a Hawthorne for Valentine's day. Before long I'll be able to come back with "But honey, you have more bikes than me...". So far she's only ridden with me one time but that will change.

I bought a frame/forkset in November,was in the front room for a few weeks,then in the hall for awhile,then in the bedroom between the dresser and wall,now it's back in the hallway.So,I'm still getting away with it 8) .I've had complete bikes in front of the tv for weeks while I "visualize".She thinks bikes are rad so that helps alot. :p

aka_locojoe said:
Ok I want to play. I'll have to think of where to put it and what my reason is. I am both looking forward to and dreading this.

Excellent! Welcome to the game!

Rat Rod said:
Still no mention of the Straight 8 in the office :)

How many days now?

Latest posts

Back