How to best protect raw/rusty frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a project Murray Monterey (my RRBBO bike) that I stripped the paint off of and I want to protect the raw frame and the rust/patina. Is a simple clear coat the best way or should I think of some sort of wax or even polyeurathane? Basically I want the frame to have a wet, polished look without getting rid of the rust. The rust when wet really "pops" and i want to keep that look under a finish. Any ideas?

IMG_3011.jpg

clear coat will give it that wet shiny look, silicone polish will give it the wet look but wont look like paint, if that makes sense.. :p

I stripped my frame down to bare metal then clear coated it. After a day or so when it dried it started to look milky. I eventually had to strip it down again and start over. I now just rub it with WD40 once in a while.

I followed someone on this forums advice and washed my rusty frame with soap and water and let it dry good. Then I clear coated it and it came out fine. When I took the bike apart to clear it I was careful not to disturb the rusty patina. It turned out nice and is a shiney, rusty brown. Gary
DSC03540.jpg

Latest posts

Back