How to build a low-buck Fixie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once saw a pic of a '70's Typhoon turned fixie. Never having ridden a fixie, what would be the disadvantages of a cantilever frame?
:idea: There's an '88 Trek 820 in my yard right now waiting to be donated to the local free bike shop...hmmm...and all the cables & shifters are screwed up anyways...

emanon said:
I once saw a pic of a '70's Typhoon turned fixie. Never having ridden a fixie, what would be the disadvantages of a cantilever frame?
:idea: There's an '88 Trek 820 in my yard right now waiting to be donated to the local free bike shop...hmmm...and all the cables & shifters are screwed up anyways...

Assuming the frame is the right size for the rider, the only disadvantage to a cantilever frame is weight. But even then, it's no big deal.

mastershake916 said:
And you get to run into vans for free.

That's how you're supposed stop a bike with no brakes! I thought it was pretty obvious...

-Mp

Piss off the hippsters with a fixed cruiser!

emanon said:

I like them...

P1000775.jpg

P1000776.jpg

This was my first successful fixed build. Geared low with fat tires it was a blast to ride, on and off road. It has since been built up as my cargo cruiser, and I converted a diamond frame to ride fixed.

P1010360.jpg

Re:

ultraclyde said:
Rat, I think the Super Le Tour would be perfect like that! quote]

I agree UltraClyde! A Super Le Tour would make a FINE ride, fixed up like that.

Re: Piss off the hippsters with a fixed cruiser!

moleman said:
emanon said:

I like them...

P1000775.jpg
Nice! I have one too, except it has fairly think tires.

two questions
1. wht do i do about the front sprockets to make it just one
&
2.where can i find one of these track cog thingys?

THANKS!

moparmayhem93 said:
two questions
1. wht do i do about the front sprockets to make it just one
&
2.where can i find one of these track cog thingys?

THANKS!

1 – Most decent quality double and triple ring cranksets have removable chainrings. You can unbolt and remove the rings you don’t want to use. You may need to use short chainring bolts (available at local bike shops) or washers when using a single chainring.

Unfortunately, the cheaper cranksets have non-removable chainrings so your stuck with the extra sprockets. Unless you have a hacksaw or sawsall...

For one piece cranks, you will most likely have to swap the chainrings for a single. Two options here: use a one piece sprocket or use a two-piece BMX style chainring/spider setup. The BMX style allows for easy gear swaps.

2 – Track cogs are usually available at any bike shop that deals with higher end roadbikes. You can also find track cogs online.

link to Track Cogs

Note that there are two different chain sizes - make sure you get the right one! A 1/8 chain will work on a 3/32 cog, but a 3/32 chain won't work on a 1/8 cog.

-Mp

very kool post! just what I needed to kick myself in the butt :mrgreen: . and here I was looking for a flip flop hub when I couldve been useing the original one this whole time. I got a schwinn world sport I've been itchin to build...pix to come. thanx alot

couple questions-

So can someone give some sprocket/cog size pointers?
What is a good all around (F/R) combo for someone that wants to build one "for fun"?

Also, a question about flip flop hubs, if one were to go that route, does it make a difference if its a BMX flip flop (lots on the 'bay) or a roadie flip flop (much more$$$)? I mean, it shouldnt mater as long as the hole#'s match the rims you use, right?

I had a singlespeed with a 44/18 that was good for around town. You can use bmx stuff just fine. Make sure it all matches cog, sprocket and chain.

BMX flip-flop hubs are different from track flip-flops in that the BMX hub has ISO standard freewheel threads (1.375" x 24 tpi ) on one side and a smaller thread on the other. The smaller thread is to allow the use of smaller (15t or less) freewheels.

A track flip-flop has the ISO standard freewheel on one side and on the other side is the standard ISO threading along with a smaller reverse thread for the lock ring. If you look at the cross section of a track hub, you can see how the threaded portion steps down.

So, in a nutshell, a FF BMX hub is for two freewheels and a FF track hub is for a cog and freewheel combo. It's important to note that there are also hubs with the cog/lockring threading on bothe sides. These are also called flip-flop hubs too (confusing, isn't it?)

As for gearing, 44-16 or 42-16 are very popular. Riding style and terrain are factors to consider. Flat and smooth - run a big gear. Hilly - run a low gear.

For your riding style, do you prefer to:
A - spin (high cadence)? Go with a low gear.
or B - muscle into a big gear (low cadence)? Go with higher gearing.

I'm using 42-16 and I find it a little steep for the hilly area I live in.

Hope this helps

-Mp

It's not the best picture, but if you look at the left side of the hub, you'll see two sets of threads for the cog and lockring:

BPC323616.jpg

-Mp

Great thread.

I've been slacking on building a Fixie. I found a Cannondale at a swap meet for a song andhave it all apart, clean, and ready to build.

I do have a question, not being a road bike or fixie guy, what do I do w/ the holes where the shifters were on the downtube?

HutchXL24 said:
Great thread.

I've been slacking on building a Fixie. I found a Cannondale at a swap meet for a song andhave it all apart, clean, and ready to build.

I do have a question, not being a road bike or fixie guy, what do I do w/ the holes where the shifters were on the downtube?

Nothing I guess, just put in a screw or something.

Wow, nice thread. I've got a junky 74 Letour that I've been trying to unload. Now I know what to do with it. I think I'm going to make it a "Fake Fixie" though. I have a spare Bendix RB2 laying around. Use a coaster brake and maybe a small front brake to make it a little safer...

Latest posts

Back