How to lower your bike 3 to 4 inches

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I lower my bike frames 3 to 4 inches without low rider spring forks............this definately makes people scratch their head when you role by or when you peddles are your kick stands...
BEFORE
DSC00166.jpg

AFTER
DSC02001.jpg

first I welded all three top tubes together.....I like this little change
DSC01984.jpg

I had to cut the kick stand off first
DSC01986.jpg

with the frame upside down... measure the back forks and find the spot were they have the same space
DSC01987.jpg

I usually cut as close the seat post on top and I usually leave more tube on the bottom.....
DSC01988.jpg

You can see how much it lowers the frame
DSC01989.jpg

DSC01990.jpg

don't throw away the kick stand...I use it to stick inside the tube for extra support....even though you don't need it....(GOOD WELDS)
DSC01992.jpg

Put the wheel back on to help keep everything lined up.............I don't have a jig
DSC01993.jpg

you can see the kick stand pieces in there...
DSC01994.jpg

DSC01995.jpg

Then you have to flip the drop outs...I use the wheel again to keep it all straight
DSC01997.jpg

I forgot...you need to leave more metal on the top....which used to be the bottom.....But it will still work...
DSC02001.jpg

Cool Change,and the geometry still looks right-on.

Do ya now need shorter crank arms? Or is it gonna be a Pedal Scraper.

You can get shorter one if you don't want them to scrape...the first bike I did I left used the same arms....Then you just have to add some links to your chain....

Cool! I like the lowered look much better and it makes the bike look longer also.

Nice clean conversion! Thanks for posting!

god i cant wait to try this!!! but do you have to weld the three tubes together? i really like the look of the cantilever bars and hate to take away from that classic schwinn look. lemme know man cuz im gonna be doin this conversion very soon!!!

Easy E

Man I'm reading this and thinking "I can't wait to come into work to try this on Saturday(my day off, but I can use my work's tools and stuff...) Then I realized I'll be outta town for the holidays! CRAP!!!! Oh well. I'm gonna take a fork and one of my 24 inch wheels with a fatty 24x3.0 tire with me so I can use my dad's shop to widen the fork. So all is not lost...

wow that looks like an easy chop n' drop! 8) gotta save them ideas!

Ingenious, as usual.............The ONLY problem I can see........You made it LOOK to easy, to do! :lol:

I'd thought of doing that for quite some time but was never sure if it would actually work out. Seeing this blew me away. Top work there. So I had a go myself on an old 24 MTB frame I had lying around. The theory you have presented is spot on. I would just advise anyone doing this to be wary of their frame tube diameter. I found that maybe the ideal situation is to have a constant diameter so that when welding back together the tube lines up and therefore makes the welding process a bit easier. My frame had flared and crimped tubing which made it hard to line up and get properly square. I dunno, I suck at welding so maybe this isn't really a problem for anyone else. Either way, MEASURE TWICE & CUT ONCE!!!!!

Thanks guys...And yes you're right the tubes have to match on top and bottom...I guess forgot to mention that...

Happy cutting...

Latest posts

Back