how to polish a 1969 huffy sligshot?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what should i use for the paint? i had been using wd40 but now im out of it. any suggestions? thanks!

Depends how bad the paint is Turtle wax has a couple different compounds you can get either the black bottle polishing compound or the heavier grit green bottle rubbing compound just be careful with that one and put a good wax on it after. Won't take to much to get it shined up either

:mrgreen: well its mint condition 1969 paint but i want to give it that extra shine!

Dont use anything abrasive that could remove a paint layer.

The Harley Dealers use Lemon Pledge.

As paint gets old it continues to "off gas", that is it slowly lose its solvents that made it liquid in the first place. When this happens you need to replace the solvents. WD 40 is not a bad choice. Most finish restorers use silicone, these can make it difficult to paint over in the future. Add the solvent back until it will not absorb any more, then lightly polish off some of the oxidized paint, then wax.

thanks guys! i took a polisting clothe and put a mixture of wd40, oil, and lubricant and polished it. it looks wonerful. you will see it in my photo comp. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back