How to remove a stuck plastic pedal...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
After fooling with removing a cheapo plastic pedal off and on for a couple of days (and being out of my favorite pb blaster). I was able to make a trip to the local tractor supply and get new supplies. Last cans pb blaster I bought there did not come with straws to deliver the oil to where it's needed. Store personnel told me they didn't come with straws anymore. Well they come with an awesome nozzle / straw system now called "prostraw" and here is the video, better than anything I could come up with to show you.

Back to the pedal, I heated the crank at the pedal threads intending to spray with pb blaster and the thing caught fire big time...
DSCF7806.JPG

Since said pedal was junk I let it go...
DSCF7807.JPG
DSCF7809.JPG
DSCF7816.JPG

Sprayed blaster on the steamy steel remains, after 24 hours I will give the threads a try. :)

About 10 years ago I got a bike with Look clipless pedals on it, they wouldn’t budge with an open end wrench or an Allen wrench on the end of the threaded pedal shaft. I tried penetrating oil and head, no go.

I ordered a Park Tool pedal wrench and when I came in I put it on the pedal and turned it right off. I can’t explain it, a wrench is a wrench right?

Since then my Park Tool pedal wrench has removed hundreds of pedals, new, old, rusty, crusty, 1/2”, 9/16”, everything. Right tool for the job I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 10 years ago I got a bike with Look clipless pedals on it, they wouldn’t budge with an open end wrench or an Allen wrench on the end of the threaded pedal shaft. I tried penetrating oil and head, no go.

I ordered a Park Tool pedal wrench and when I came in I put it on the pedal and turned it right off. I can’t explain it, a wrench is a wrench right?

Since then my Park Tool pedal wrench has removed hundreds of pedals, new, old, rusty, crusty, 1/2”, 9/16”, everything. Right tool for the job I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a park tools pedal wrench. It's nice but it is a little sprung from use and feels like I could wreck it on a very stuck pedal...
DSCF7818.JPG
DSCF7819.JPG

This is why I melted the plastic pedal, so I could get a box end wrench over the pedal shank. Big ole' 1 1-4" wrench for extra torque...
DSCF7817.JPG

After not budging this am, I heated it again and applied more blaster on and a couple of hours it came free using the cheater setup shown above. :)
DSCF7827.JPG
DSCF7828.JPG

The pedals on my new toy was quite tightened. I gave it about 80% of all I had and they did not bulge.
But leverage always does the trick. Next time just take some pipe and stick the end of the wrench in it. Then you don't even need to apply much force.
OH I just saw that you tried that and it didn't work :oops:

Last edited:
I'm always happy when the park wrench removes the pedal - easy peasy.
This was stubborn, heat and dollar store penetrating oil a no go with the park. Stepped up to the pb blaster and heat and open end 15mm - still no go. That's when the pedal went up in flame so I could use the box end for more grip. that's when I used the cheater. It still took a couple of heat - blaster applications and time to soak overnight before it broke loose!

Yeah, when I couldn't bust a pedal loose on Wonky Donkey's crank, I just sawed through the pedal axle. Now, I wish I had torched the pedal to remove it, for some dumb reason, I decided to put it out when mine caught fire.

Well, I've got some kids 20" bikes. Thought I'd turn them into 2 or 3 usable bikes for grandkids or maybe sell. Nothing valuable tho. Back when I went to the police bike auction, they had piles and piles of kids bikes. Sometimes no one would bid even a dollar on them so they piled up on stage then they bundled with a better bike like my Miyata. I agree not worth wasting a wrench on. :thumbsup:

Ugh. They did our police auction online this year. It kinda sucked. Every item closed within half an hour, so one approximately every ten seconds. I couldn't click fast enough, bidding on 5 or six items, I didn't end up getting anything. :(

i wore my park tool pedal wrench out i took a piece of 1/4' tthck 1 1/4" wide by 20 " long flatbar had my local machine shop mill the correct width slot in it and presto my dyi pedal wrench that wrench and some heat and its come to poppa few pedal axles can resist its call

Latest posts

Back