How to remove rusty stem?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok I picked up this bike that os pretty clean. I want to remove the stem and handlebars. Usually I just loosen the long blot in the stem which releases the quill. But this time the blot broke off and it is still very tight (won't even budge) I've used PB Blaster and WD40 and still no luck. Any suggestions?

You're on the right track: Heat and patience, and more PB and some more heat and some more patience and some more PB then some more heat.

Have you poked at the broken off bolt inside the stem to try and drive the wedge nut down?

yoothgeye said:
Walker said:
Have you poked at the broken off bolt inside the stem to try and drive the wedge nut down?

+1

+1 :D

I had the exact same issue recently so I used a steel rod and a hammer to bang on the frozen quill. Eventually I was able to twist the stem out of the steerer tube and remove the fork without any more drastic measures (like cutting the stem off so it will slide through the head tube).

Sometimes the steerer tube can be bent or expanded inside the headtube.

I usually just flip the bike over and beat the heck out of the stem until it comes out. Things will be ruined though.

Do a search at any bike forum if you are curious. Wood bleach crystals are available at hardware stores. It is Oxalic acid and it dissolves rust. We usually use it to soak chrome parts but it was the only way I got the frozen stem out of an old Breeze.

Don't forget to remove or at least loosen the top fork nut. I have found several Schwinn stems very tightly rusted in place, and removing the top nut allows everything to flex and move quite a bit. The Schwinn stems, especially if they're dropped down into the fork deeply, bind up against the top nut and when they rust, they cannot free up unless the tension on them from the top nut is released.

Good luck, that's all I can say! Worst case , cut it off, another stem is $5- $10 through the friendly folks on here.

--Rob

twomorestrokes said:
Do a search at any bike forum if you are curious. Wood bleach crystals are available at hardware stores. It is Oxalic acid and it dissolves rust. We usually use it to soak chrome parts but it was the only way I got the frozen stem out of an old Breeze.

Latest posts

Back