how would i make a dual chain bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaxRhapsody

Rhapsodic Laviathan
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried google.search.but turned up zip. I want to build a beach cruiser with a chain on both sides.

Sorry I was in a rush to leave work. I've tried looking this up and there's almost no info to be found- not even on bikeforums. I know it would require converting to a three piece crank, i just dont know what kind of hub i would need. I do know what sprokets i want to run. Should this go in another section?

JaxRhapsody said:
Sorry I was in a rush to leave work. I've tried looking this up and there's almost no info to be found- not even on bikeforums. I know it would require converting to a three piece crank, i just dont know what kind of hub i would need. I do know what sprokets i want to run. Should this go in another section?

I believe you have it posted in the correct section. I just can't answer anything else for you. Sorry.

Also, more chain +more sprocket=more cool! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That being said, B607 must be correct, more friction is inevitable, and there is no need for it, only looks... Depends why you want it, and what the bike will be used for I guess.

Luke.

Look at my build called schwindian in the last build off. I ran a dual chain set up.

cman said:
You need to find a South Paw freewheel sprocket and a flip flop hub. You will also need to run rim brakes. And run three piece cranks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000VSWIWE

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, my next questiom was going to be if a 1pc bb could be converted to a 3pc. As far as the rim brakes, ill be running one on the front.

LukeTheJoker said:
Also, more chain +more sprocket=more cool! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That being said, B607 must be correct, more friction is inevitable, and there is no need for it, only looks... Depends why you want it, and what the bike will be used for I guess.

Luke.
Its going on a beach cruiser to cruise. Im trying to get all my ideas together for a ratrod.

1 piece bottom brackets can be easily converted to three piece, you just buy the conversion kit which consists of 2 new bearing cups, a 3 piece axle and bearings, lock nuts etc. EBay is where you should be looking or a decent bike shop will have them... :)

Hope you get it working, looking forward to seeing your build.

Luke.

cman said:
You need to find a South Paw freewheel sprocket and a flip flop hub. You will also need to run rim brakes. And run three piece cranks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000VSWIWE

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk 2
Or use 2 track gears, suicide hub times 2! You won't need brakes then!~ and do not stop pedaling at once or you'll have brakes, lots of them.

cQXBJve.jpg

DmU0A6T.jpg

you will need a L/R rear hub. flip flop wont work.
you need a southpaw free wheel. i used 18t.
right / left drive cranks, I had my left one helicoiled to fit left pedal.
also a smooth bore bottom bracket for 3 piece so you can adjust chain line.
chain tensioners on the back to dial in the chain line. one side will want to go slack. i had to use half links in the chain to get better tension.

as it is, it really serves no purpose. as the pawls in the freewheel will never line up. so, when you pedal forward, only one freewheel will be the drive side, and the other will follow suit. it depends on which freewheel kicks in first. sometimes left, sometimes right.

when you pedal fast, the cranks start to gyroscope a bit.. feels a little strange. i just built up mine just to see if i could. i lost a bid on some original clemtwins on ebay, so i figured i could make a dual drive alot cheaper.

Cheapest way to do it would be with a track hub, fixed/fixed, with an american-to-euro adaptor and a tandem left hand crank and a normal right side. This will avoid issues with pawls syncing up and the rear brake issue, but it still isn't cheap and it still has absolutely no functional benefit. I guess it might look cool, though.

Latest posts

Back