Huffy Cheater Slick - Class 1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this in a trade during last years MBBO and thought about entering it then. I was knee deep in refurbishing my '65 Wildcat and '65 Stingray for last years contest so I decided to mothball the Huffy and run out the clock. There wont be anything fancy done to this, just a good cleaning, polish and rebuild but I do have a couple of cool parts that might find it's way onto this one. It's now a pile of parts. The seat (which was recovered by Odder) and sissy bar are now on my '64 Stingray.........if anyone has a reasonably priced Solo Polo core please let me know.

I now present to you.................Project: 'Beater Slick'...................

Cheater Slick 1.JPG

Haven't done much to any of my three entries but I did manage to get the bars, stem, crank/chainring and wheels in the vat of oxalic acid. All the stuff came out looking great. You may (or may not) be able to tell in the above photo but the factory grips were extremely grungified™ with (at least) five layers of funk. I soaked them in the secret sauce and they look killer. I may or may not use them. Yeah, it would be cool to have the OG grips but I love, love, love me some NOS Hunt Wilde grips........time will tell.

As you can clearly see in the above photo the wheels on the Cheater Slick were extremely crustified. After a long (probably too long) soak in the oxalic acid the rust was gone but a lot (huge understatement) of nasty yellow residue was was all over the wheels. I spent the better part of two hours with 0000 steel wool soaked in metal polish (I've got the claw-hand to prove it) removing it. The chrome is pretty much gone in quite a few spots but the wheel isn't too bad, at least in my opinion...........fits right in with the level of crustiness on many of the other parts of the Scruffy.............er, Huffy. This thing certainly wont be a show piece when it's all back together but I prefer a preservation over a restoration anyway.

Anyone have a decent seat available? I'd prefer a Polo but would consider others.

As you can clearly see in the above photo the wheels on the Cheater Slick were extremely crustified. After a long (probably too long) soak in the oxalic acid the rust was gone but a lot (huge understatement) of nasty yellow residue was was all over the wheels. I spent the better part of two hours with 0000 steel wool soaked in metal polish (I've got the claw-hand to prove it) removing it. The chrome is pretty much gone in quite a few spots but the wheel isn't too bad, at least in my opinion...........fits right in with the level of crustiness on many of the other parts of the Scruffy.............er, Huffy. This thing certainly wont be a show piece when it's all back together but I prefer a preservation over a restoration anyway.

Anyone have a decent seat available? I'd prefer a Polo but would consider others.
What color?

I found/bought a Troxel polo seat W/48 inch sissy bar on ebay. I scored it supercheap™ and the sissy has the perfect amount of crustification™ to match the Beater Slick. Stay tuned to this channel for further updates.

I wasn't able to get as much done today as I has planned but I did manage to get the rear tire/tube mounted. The NOS Cheng-Shin slick is so big I have to deflate it to get it in the frame.

Latest posts

Back