HUFFY SUPER STOCK BUILD OFF 2016

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
HUFFY SUPER STOCK RESTORATION BUILD OFF 2016
Starts: April 4th.
Ends: June 30th (or until we say so)
Participants: Anyone with a Huffy Super Stock they want to restore.
-Old School
-CRASH

RULES:
-Must be a Huffy Super Stock
-Must use Old Schools reproduced Frame Caps.
-Must keep detailed pictographic documentation of the build for all to admire.
-Must pay Crash $100 to enter.
(Edit: RatRod threatened to ban me again, so ignore that last rule)

GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited:
It'll be fun plus it will push me to get my butt moving and work on my Super Stock. I was going to use it for the next MBBO but I didn't want to wait that long either, it kept hanging in my garage begging me to get started on it.
Here she is hanging since last Fall still waiting to be built with my MBBO4 Wheelin Rail frame and Firestone Rail frame. I called it my Huffy rainbow.

HUFFY SUPER STOCK RESTORATION BUILD OFF 2016
Starts: April 4th.
Ends: May 30th (or until we say so)
Participants: Anyone with a Huffy Super Stock they want to restore.
-Old School
-CRASH

RULES:
-Must be a Huffy Super Stock
-Must use Old Schools reproduced Frame Caps.
-Must keep detailed pictographic documentation of the build for all to admire.
-Must pay Crash $100 to enter.
(Edit: RatRod threatened to ban me again, so ignore that last rule)

GOOD LUCK!!

CRASH was just kidding about using my Huffy frame caps as one of the rules . . . . but I do have them available :whistle:

Does anyone have a Super Stock frame for sale? I need a frame to make a 24 x 20 slingshot. I am trying to build a bike around a front fork I just got....lol Crash I am also interested in the 24 x 1.75 Cheater Slick on Ebay. Send me a price shipped to N.Y. zip 13839

Here we go! Here's what I'm starting with. The rustiest junk ever. 1969 (Did they make any other years? LOL) Huffy Super Stock V made in California.

RY7nuS.jpg

7xBavR.jpg

2Rwrn5.jpg

mDpcBy.jpg

aoxJEh.jpg

YNIyKW.jpg

IYc86p.jpg

Last edited:
Here we go! Here's what I'm starting with. The rustiest junk ever.

RY7nuS.jpg

7xBavR.jpg

2Rwrn5.jpg

mDpcBy.jpg

aoxJEh.jpg

YNIyKW.jpg

IYc86p.jpg
Ok now I'm feeling bad because mine is in a little better condition then yous but it is the same color minus the slight patina yours has. So are you keeping the combo lock attached as part of the build?

So are you keeping the combo lock attached as part of the build?
As a joke I was thinking of buying a new one and attaching it. But... no. I just cut it off a few minutes ago.

And don't feel bad. I know yours was in better shape, that's why I tried to buy it before you did! LOL But mine will be fine. Just watch the ridiculous happen.

Alright, here we go. As you may or may not know from my previous restorations, I always like to start with the wheels. I don't know why, I just do. However, this bike is the rustiest bike I've ever started with, so I wanted to see what I was up against on the frame. So today I tackled it. I cut the lock off, then gave it a good look.

While there is rust pitting all over it in varying degrees, my two worst areas are shown below.

Up front there's a pretty large patch.

uJPNDi.jpg

The right chain stay holds the deepest pits.

fjo6Vr.jpg

So... I attacked the frame, fork and seat clamp with a wire wheel and wire attachment on my 4.5" grinder.

Here's the seat clamp. you can see some pitting on the edges.

cNV46B.jpg

And pits on the bottom of both fork legs.

wrVNuk.jpg

vKIho6.jpg

Here's that patch on the front.

DbwVdy.jpg

And the deep pits on the right stay.

5ifhes.jpg

4v3en1.jpg

That stay worries me, but I think since I've stopped the rust, and once I treat it, it will be strong enough. It should be fine.

I've still got to clean up a little here and there, and attack some hard to reach rust and paint. Then the next step is hosing down the inside of the frame tubes with rust converter to hopefully protect them from internal damage. Then I'm going to hit it with etch primer... then it'll be body filler time.

I've got a lot of frame prep ahead. :confused:

Just so you all know, considering the condition of the parts on this bike, I had to buy a donor. Hopefully you all know that I do everything I can to save such rare parts. But sometimes you just have to know when to let them go. I tossed some pretty hard to find stuff, but I kept a bit and am working on bringing it back well enough to sell. But, the donor had decent stuff that I'm able to bring back better, and this is for my son, so I want it to be nice. Alright... moving on.

Today I worked about 14 hours, so I didn't have a lot of leisure time. So I went ahead and grabbed the wheels and decided to lace them. I stole the spokes from my daughter's Super Stock project which has the exact same wheels, so I'll just pay hers back.
So I took this:

28iDdP.jpg

And made this:

Km6Ol6.jpg

Tomorrow I'll either true these or finish taking the paint and rust off the frame. We'll see what happens.

That frame will look great when you're done with it. They always do. Nice wheels too!

Aw man I was hoping for some tin foil scrubbing on those crusty parts..:p...could that stuff even be rechromed? Looks rough. Donor rims look like brand new!

What's the plan for paint?

Aw man I was hoping for some tin foil scrubbing on those crusty parts..:p...could that stuff even be rechromed? Looks rough. Donor rims look like brand new!

What's the plan for paint?
If there was any hope for rechrome, I'd have kept them. But the rust was worse than I've ever seen it. Through the chrome and deep into the metal.

Plan for the paint is to prep the frame, spray some primer, take it to the booth and spray some color and clear on it. :D (The final product will remain a mystery. I just hope it comes out as well as my mind thinks it will. It's an odd choice.)

Latest posts

Back