Hugo's "Dead Parrot"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Remember the Taxi Bike? http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2841 . It's called that way because it's yellow and I got it home in a taxi. After a new wheel, fork and fenders, this is what it looks like at the start of the build-off:

dsc01553ga3.jpg

My theme will be a "barn find" look-a-like. I have a few ideas to make that happen, but very few cool parts. So, I decided to take a trip to the countryside and go parts-hunting for a couple of days. Oh, who am I kidding? I'm just visiting the family. I'm in a place where everyone rides "old people" bikes, and where there are "old people" bikes, there are "old people" parts! Tomorrow, the hunt begins.

Hugo

as long as the "old people" parts, are bicycle parts, hope ya find what you need, glad to see ya in the runnin Hugo

Thanks CCR. And no, I'm not building a "Soilent Green" bike. :)

dsc01777cd6.jpg

This is what I got. A pair of mud flaps, a bell, pedals, a little tool box that hangs from the back of the seat, and a long- handle shifter. I also got those little reflectors and wing nuts because they were cool. Now I know why they're called wing nuts! The most expensive part were the pedals, at 4 euros and change.

I still need a cool seat. And some wide handlebars and a funky chain guard would be nice too. Maybe tomorrow morning...

Hugo

I've gathered most of my painting supplies: matt varnish, off-white and red rust primer, with wich I hope to duplicate a 40 year-old factory paint job.

The big can is white "liquid rubber", some sort of rubbery pavement paint. I'm hoping I can paint my own white walls with that. Fingers crossed...

dsc01778pw8.jpg

Also, I plan on using a 3-speed Sachs Torpedo hub with coaster brake that I was lucky to find a few weeks ago. Gears are important, my knees don't like the low seat height/ singlespeed combination. It's the one at the bottom:

dsc01634qh5.jpg

I laced it right away so I could test it (and took the opportunity to write that lacing tutorial) but when I went to install it on the frame, I noticed it had no axle nuts, and none of the standard axle nuts I and the LBS had fit. Some sort of weird pitch on the axle thread... :( Same thing is true for a Shimano coaster hub that I have that is missing a nut... And the one nut on the Shimano hub doesn't fit the Sachs hub... Three different threads!!??? Doh!

Anyway, tomorrow is flea-market day and I'm hoping to catch up to the guy who sold me the hub, he said he could get me some nuts since his wife was going to Germany. More fingers crossed...

Hugo

I picked up one of those Torpedo 3spd coasters the other day. The bike was built in Norway.

Good Idea on the rubber paint.

cool, i´m looking forwart to see the shiny german sachs hub in your (hopefully) cool portogese bike! :wink:

Ei Doug, was that picture for me?

Anyhow, this is what the flea-market provided this morning for 5 euros. It's a "Setter" ( :?: )brand saddle. I didn't find the guy with the nuts... :cry:

dsc01779qg0.jpg

Hugo

Hugo said:
Ei Doug, was that picture for me?

Anyhow, this is what the flea-market provided this morning for 5 euros. It's a "Setter" ( :?: )brand saddle. I didn't find the guy with the nuts... :cry:

Hugo

I thought the sidecar and the military bike would give you some ideas for a sidecar for the taxi......

Doug

RecumbentCountry said:
I thought the sidecar and the military bike would give you some ideas for a sidecar for the taxi......
Yes, but wouldn't I need "frame modifications" to install a side-car? :wink: Besides, I don't have a dog, small child, or the habit of hauling six-packs with me.

This morning I stripped the seat and the frame broke :( . I got so frustrated I put it to the side and started removing the powder-coating from the handlebars. I got tired before I finished. So, I got work done today but no progress.

EDIT: I need a name for this project... Dead Parrot it is.

Hugo

HAHA, like that name better, at first i thought it was a rib on jimmy buffet fans, but those are parrotheads right ? been a while since id seen that skit

for those who dont know,
here

Well, I've been slacking big time. I got myself a new desktop wallpaper to get some motivation and it's working. Tomorrow I'll go down to the garage and wrench.

lixovc0.jpg

Hugo

Well, I got the nose piece of the seat frame welded back together. I hope it will hold. And that's it. :(

dsc02021vk7.jpg

Hugo

I've been too busy to get anything done, but now I have a clear calendar all the way to the end of the deadline.

Today I cleaned the handlebar and the seatframe wich I'll take to get zinc plated tomorrow. Also tomorrow, I want to strip down the frame, sand it a little bit, and maybe start painting?

I wanted to do a dry build first and figure out the shifter for the 3-speed hub, but that's one corner that got cut. It's all good.

Hugo

Yes they do. On the front hub, not on the rear. The guy that sold me the rear hub came through with the missing nuts. His wife went to Germany and brought some Sachs and Shimano nuts for me.

dsc02343fs9.jpg

Today I stripped the bike, sanded the frame, fenders, fork and chainguard, and sprayed a couple of coats of primer. Too lazy to remove bottom bracket or headset races, so I just masked them. I also dropped off the handlebars and seat frame to get them nickel plated (looks like chrome only cooler- thanks OCC!).

dsc02348xb0.jpg

I don't have a lot of space at home, so parts were drying from bizarre places.

dsc02350ij8.jpg

I also removed a rear fender bracket that was spot-welded. That made a bit of a mess on the thin metal, but I've got a reflector that will cover the damage. By moving that bracket, I'll get the rear fender struts to align with the front ones.

More to come tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Hugo

Latest posts

Back