I’m really into original paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m at work talking to one of my friends/coworkers about how I won’t repaint a bike unless it’s paint is completely shot. I pointed out my Eliminator and said I would like it treat it for rust and clear coat it the way it is. My friend looked at me like I just farted.
I work at a body shop where we fix and paint cars every day. I could have had all my bikes repainted multiple times.
Nope.
48E1F4CF-BD1B-4C2D-9A86-BF080AB0DB93.jpeg

Yes sir, I prefer original paint and character myself, you can try and create original but it's just not he same.

If it's a color I like, and it looks good, I won't paint it.
But I'd rather have black primer than an old rust bucket.

My new to me Kona, only 26 years old, is pretty scratched up. But aluminum don't rust the same as steel. And I like the color. So I might not paint it. Just clean it real good.
20190727_152454.jpg

I gotta do something with the forks though.

Last edited:
I dunno why, but to me, Konas are always begging to be single speed. They just look so fun and flickable
That's the plan.
Got an Araya 7x 26x1.75/ Suzue sealed bearing hub wheelset, some medium height black BMX bars, and a 27mm to 1" seatpost shim.
Just need to order a BMX style stem, a black layback post, and maybe a B17.
Will use the original Sugino cranks with a single chainring. And the RockShox fork for now.

It's super lightweight.

I'm the same way, sadly all but 2 of my bikes are old repaints and I still kept the scabby patina. There's a good chance my flightliner ends up powdercoated though. It's what started me into these bikes and has like 5 coats of paint so I may just have it made nice.

I'm kind of sad my recent purchase has nice enough paint I don't want too molest it. It's just not crusty enough, makes it kind of boring like my black Firestone.

What kind of body shop doesn't tolerate farts? If everybody knows about respirators, I figure it's fair comment?

I like to repaint. It's cheap and challenging to get level paint with aerosol cans! I might upgrade to brushes some day.

What kind of body shop doesn't tolerate farts? If everybody knows about respirators, I figure it's fair comment?

I like to repaint. It's cheap and challenging to get level paint with aerosol cans! I might upgrade to brushes some day.
The problem with aerosol cans is durability, and slow dry times.

I like the look of original paint too. Especially if it shows signs of age and use, the history of the bike. It's cool when they clean up well and look great from 6 feet away, but up close you can see the scars and rust. Kinda like people. Look great at a distance, but close up shots can be a mess! :21:
IMG_20190827_191334.jpg

Latest posts

Back