I bought this today!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting an old vintage moped for quite some time. Last week I saw this in a local ad and loved the look of it, and after some research on the brand/model I called the guy and went to have a look at it today and I decided to buy it. :D

NSUQuicklyS.jpg

It's a NSU Quickly S 49cc from -61 or -62. Need to fix a couple of small things to be able to ride it this summer, and then I'll gradually fix it up and make it nice, when time allows! :)

Graylock said:
I think thats a Harley Davidson..............if you squint your eyes and turn your head to the side... :lol: ...
:lol:

Thanks for the kind words guys! :D It's not the most common old moped here in Sweden, but there seem to be quite a few around actually. It appears to be more frequent in Germany where it was manufactured. I read an old NSU-ad for this moped, probably from the 60's, and it said that there where 600 000 made!! :shock: If it had been too rare I would have hesitated to buy it, but with that many made it's easier to get spare parts when needed. It's a leading link suspension in the front fork, and the gap between the front wheel and fender is to allow room for movement up and down. When you sit on it it's compressed a little and the gap is smaller. The Quicklys all look like that, but both wheels are 26".
I guess what I'm planning to do is more of a restoration. I'm going to restore or change worn out parts to make it run and function well and then I plan on painting it. I really don't want to chop it or even change to much on it 'cause I love how it looks as it is! :D I haven't decided if I'll paint it in the original colours or if I'll come up with a paint scheme of my own. But I'll have time to think about that, because I probably won't paint it this summer.
I'll keep you updated on any progress! :D

I've never seen a moped ratted out. That's a nice frame, not generic.

I think the front wheel is right, it sits away from the fender because of the travel in the front suspension. Just guessing.

Yeah, I like the look of the frame too! There are alot of old -50's -60's mopeds that look similar, but I don't think any of them have the pressed frame like this one. I also like how everything on it is proportioned. :)

Here's one I saw on youtube that's ratted out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftsez6LKiwU

Wouldn't even think of doing anything like that to mine though. :|

Galtbacken said:
...I also like how everything on it is proportioned.
me too, except for the suspension-gap between the front fender/tire...

but... holy crp!
...that hotrodversion looks really cool!

hmm... I think I'd buy two. One to restore and one to rod. Maybe add a fatter backtire and some mild apehangers. I'd keep (part) of the back fender though... Those original skirts are too nice to take off.

Hey Galtbacken,

That thing is cool man!
My girlfriends dad is a heavy moped addict, he's got a few(to ride and restore).
I've been getting some of that virus too and looking for a nice one to buy in the future( first i gotta get a job again).

But the one you picked is a good choise.
Enough have been build to allow for spare ones and parts to be availlable.

I guess you have to join a moped forum now. :wink:
But keep posting updates on here too, please !
If you go about giving it the same quality treatment as you do building bikes it should turn out very nice.

Are u putting ape's and a banana seat on it? :lol:

herr_rudolf said:
I think I'd buy two. One to restore and one to rod.

I think I'll settle with just one to restore. :D

badmuller said:
Are u putting ape's and a banana seat on it? :lol:

Umm...no? :lol:

Thanks for the kind words! I'm really eager to learn more restoring this NSU, and I'll make sure to post my progress on here!
Hope you'll find a good new job soon, and that you'll get your hands on a cool little moped! :D

I've nothing against creative mods, or I wouldn't be here, but that you-tube strip job was just silly. Missing parts and clutch eating behavior don't turn a scooter into road burner. With that sort of machine, I'd say OEM complete is better in every way. Good local transport, with sweet retro style. 8)

I'm not sure what OEM means, but I'm with you on all the rest! :) I won't swing my grinder at this one, any mods that might be done will be about paint and maybe a seatcover.

Latest posts

Back