I broke down and built a fixie...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, How do you like riding it? I've been tossing it around in my head to build one or not. I do like the bike i saw the other day at the bike shop. It had a free wheel on one side and a fixed gear on the other side of the hub.

Thanks for the compliments guys. This is the first time I've. Torn down, painted and rebuilt a bike.

Maddog, my rear wheel is that flip~flop style as well. It came fixed and I have on order a freewheel cog that I can put on the other side. Once I put it as freewheel I think I will not use the fixed side. It is different to ride it fixed but I don't see the point for daily use. But the ride is not so difficult. Last weekend my friend (who rides a fixie) and I rode our bikes 14 miles just breaking in this baby. It was great! Except on a downhill segment when my chain came of from my resistance ~which is the only form of brakes! I used my hand and foot on a guard rail to stop. Coulda been bad...

Conclusion: at least put a brake on it if you go fixed! I for one will be a freewheeler.

Man that came out nice !! I got an older road bike off cl for free a year ago..finally got my freewheel from my "parts guy"..guess this gives me the gumption to git-r-done..only thing been holding me back is it has vertical drop outs, but i have a donor frame that is going to give up the horizontals..I notice alot of the "kids" around here have alot smaller sprocket on the front than yours..i am liking the bigger..do you see a big difference ?

old school 64 said:
I notice alot of the "kids" around here have alot smaller sprocket on the front than yours..i am liking the bigger..do you see a big difference ?

Dude, the difference is insane. Since the above photos were taken, (current one below) I have added the freewheel cog and am currently running it. It has just 2 teeth more than the fixed cog (16t fixed, 18t freewheel) and in the first few miles I was even noticing my cadence had increased. But a buddy of mine has a 36t/17t setup and when we're next to each other at speed he is pedaling like crazy; If I stand up and get on it I can pull away easily... unless we're going up hill, haha.

With Freewheel cog & Black accents: seat, chain ring (painted), grips, and pedals w/ cages & straps... oh, and a brake.

Fuji Flip single speed by curlywolf, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back