I have a question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
North Carolina ,small town called Rockwell
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a question about something I am building a bike not a BMX bike nothing against BMX bikes but I'm a old fart and that is part of my question. I need a smaller sprocket for the bike I'm building because I think the smaller sprocket in the front pedals a lot easier and I think there are like 25 tooth sprockets like the bike I have know is like 45 I think. Ok any info would be great thanks guys.

Chris,model-a:headbang:

Um.....yes, smaller front sprockets make the bike pedal easier...and are often found on the ladies model of a particular bike. Larger rear sprockets will do the same thing. You can switch coaster brake sprockets pretty easy on newer hubs..What bike/crank /hubs are we talking about and what is your specific question? You will loose top speed but if that isn't a concern why not make it easier...

Old farts! Ha, my Dad is old, not me!
For bmx we used the following...
1 tooth in the rear equals 4 teeth in the front, bigger front harder to pedal, bigger in the rear easier to pedal.

look for bikes with wheels smaller than 20" and you will usually find some small sprockets that will work with one piece cranks. I think yoothgeye has converted some of the 25t sprockets from porkchopbmx to work on a one piece crank too.

I run 36/16 on the smaller diameter tires, 17 rear for 2.2125" and above.
Please note, I run 180mm cranks.

I would not try a 25 tooth sprocket.You would have to drop your rear down to appx a 10 tooth and your rear hub will only go down to appx a 16 tooth.Run a 39 tooth up front and a 17 to 20 tooth cog in the rear.Simple pedaling that wont have you just spinning out.

I just went through this as I'm trying to rehab a broken knee. On my cruiser I went from a 46T to a 39T and it worked out well. Any smaller and it would have been to much.

Chris/model-a, what ratio, front/rear, are you running now? Dropping too low will create really fast spinning, and that could bother your hip, too. I'd play with the rear as much as I could before swappi ng the front, but if you tell us what you're working with, we could probably advise you....

Latest posts

Back