I have no idea what to call it so I'm just going to say BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well its school holidays and today I didn't have a lot to do so I decided to amuse myself by painting the front wheel of my BMX. Earlier this morning I had ordered a new rear wheel for it, and I thought that once I had it all back together it would be cool for it to have a new look rather than the old scratched up kiddie paint job it had when I pulled it out of the rubbish.

So I masked off the wheel and primed it (sorry no progress pics yet), and I let that cure.

As I was getting the remaining stickers off the frame I thought, you know, I would be cool if I painted the frame too.

So I threw around a few ideas with my mum (we have the same taste in colours), I looked through my collection of spray paint, and decided on a super high gloss cream colour for the frame and metallic candy red for the wheels.

So in the space of a few hours a time waster was turned into a full paint makeover!

I'll have some pics tomorrow

Well I didn't like the frame colour on its own with the red wheels so I decided to go for a traditional rat rod paintjob, with a few small changes to make it a bit different from the rest

I masked off the bits of the frame I wanted to keep that cream colour, and went over it all with flat black

CIMG1181.jpg

CIMG1182.jpg

CIMG1183.jpg

It was the first time I'd masked off parts of a frame like that so I think I did alright for a first try.

And of course I did the wheels red, but I did them in that metallic candy red instead

CIMG1184.jpg

CIMG1185.jpg

Looks great! Rat BMX's have attitude. Can't wait to see how yours ends up.

Aaron

No sorry I don't have that bmx frame, it was pretty much history anyway. I'll let you know if I pick up any old bmx frames. I found a Healing HMX 500 on the side of the road at Whangamata, It was pretty wasted though

And the brand of spray paint is Dulux Spraykote Metallic Gloss Red. Get it from your local Bunnings Warehouse or Mitre 10 (I think Bunnings is cheaper than Mitre 10 though).

I used Dulux spraykote quick dry auto primer to prime it, thats almost white so it really brought out the red more. The red is a little more pinkish than it shows in the photo, but I'm going to try it with some clear coat over the top because when I put clear coat on it seems to darken or deepen the colour more

Latest posts

Back