I need some information please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm working on a Diamond Back, older MTB that has 3 chain rings, and a 5 cog cluster in the back (15 sp). The shifters are handlebar mounted friction shifters. I am trying to find out if I could replace the friction shifters with more modern indexed shifters, preferably handlebar mounted? My LBS said to look for a NOS 5 speed index shifter for the rear, the front really does not matter much as long as it is for 3 chain rings. Has anyone here done this with a 5 cog rear? Mostly I'm finding index shifters for 6,7,8, or 9 cogs. The index movement is critical due to the spacing between the cogs on the various speed clusters, so I need a 5 speed index shifter???
Any info or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

From what I have read on another forum I don't think you can without a great deal of modding to the bike meaning changing to a cassette VS freewheel which that most likely is also changing out the rear derailleur and such plus getting new shifters it really wouldn't be that cheap of a change over. Depends really on exactly what the bike is worth to ya. You may be able to find a whole new bike cheaper and with less headache.

Change out your 5 speed to a 6 or 7 and with index shifters. I have 6spd. Ultegra on my Bianchi.

You can change out you shifters to more modern ones. you may have to update/upgrade you derailures. I'm asuming most of the drive train is probably worn out anyways?

Latest posts

Back