I ordered a new bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks practical and fun, so I ordered it this morning.
E7F8C3F3-109D-40F7-8322-1FABE0DAE189.png

Pocket bike! I like it. I wonder what's the fattest tire you can get in there?
That’s what I’ve been stressing about all day lol. I’m looking at maxxis silkworms because 120 psi sounds awesome. The stock tires are 1-1/8 inches wide (28.5mm) so I’ll probably be getting the silkworms in that size too.

I’m thinking about converting to drop bars, but depending on how it rides out of the box I’m planning on flipping the handle bars like a path racer.

Minivelo!
The biggest advantage is the lower weight of the smaller bike. It's probably about 25lbs. I have a homemade one, but with heavy wheels and old steel frame so it's over 30 lbs.

Minivelo!
The biggest advantage is the lower weight of the smaller bike. It's probably about 25lbs. I have a homemade one, but with heavy wheels and old steel frame so it's over 30 lbs.
How does it ride? Can you get going fast on it? And does it climb well? I’m hoping I can get over some of the hills around here, and have something better to tow my kayak. I also want a bike to bring with me when I go places in my car, but I already know it’s gonna fit.

The first time I was in Europe in 1965 bicycles like your small wheeled job were very popular in cities. I saw some even smaller folders when I was there in 2016, but not as many as in the 60s. Europeans back in the 60s used a lot of bicycles in cities, economically they were just starting to come back from WWII, they were too poor to have cars, gas was very expensive and space to park was nonexistent. Mopeds, scooters, bicycles and weird tiny cars Were everywhere. It was years before I saw this type of bike here. I think some may have had something like 16 inch wheels, looked tall above those small wheels and the five speed and derailleur looked odd on those small wheels. I was amazed, but thought they were stupid. Being young and American I didn’t realize the necessity for them.

All my stuff is low tech, your ride should be great, like a regular road bike.
The 20" folders have been around for a long time, but were usually heavy and slow. In England, the Raleigh 20 is a legend. They called them shoppers because you could load them up with everything and ride home. Those were many peoples' only vehicle.
Todays bikes like yours, besides being quicker steering, their light weight and gearing make them as fast as a regular bike. Recumbents use 20" a lot and are very fast. Especially with high pressure tires. I put Michelin country j tires on my Bike E because the pavement and sidewalks were uneven, the original tires were too bumpy a ride for me.
But on a smooth path the good tires should get you flying.
I'm starting to make up another mini-velo so the wife and I can carry our bikes to where it's good to ride all day.

Thank you very much! :) it’s super fun. Idk what the tires are, but they seem kind of mid range. I took it on gravel, and it was SKETCHY. This is totally the bike I’m going to be towing my kayak with, it’ll fit nicely behind my seat too. It’s short enough to not get in the way of a motor, and it’s perfect. Pretty fast for zipping around town. I’m not used to the responsiveness of the steering because I’ve been riding my chopper bike forever now, but I’m starting to get a little confidence. I love this bike!

Nice ride Phranq, good components. Mini velos are practical and a lot fun. I have a Schwinn Formula 1 BMX from the 80's I'm making into a 9 speed racer. The bike is under 25 Lbs. Rides anywhere apart from off road.
Can't tell what tires you have. The Maxxis Torch ISO 451 is awesome. Have over 750 miles on a set. Be safe.

Makes an ok single sp for the meantime:bigsmile:
View attachment 153018
That bike looks great, so does Phrang's new bike. I've never seen that Schwinn frame. That was a BMX?
My next build is going to be a mini with off road capability and be heavier because of the rims. My handlebars and stem are similar to yours, I really need the height.
I wonder if these bikes would fit in a suitcase if you removed the forks.

Latest posts

Back