I think I may have saved a friends life (Please read)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello gang this is the first time i post in this topic but i feel i have to talk about this. I will keep it as short as possable.Sunday night i had a co-worker call me from a bar drunk and upset, he also called his girlfriend as well who said she did not want to be with him if he kepet drinking.So today he calls me still drunk (he called in sick for today) anyway he calles me and tells me to meet him in the parking lot, so i do and when i get out their he has a shotgun and two opened tall boy beers in his lap. He told me he wanted to be with his brother ( who died last year) I tryed to talk him out of it and to give me the rifle and we could work this out. He said thanks for being a great friend and drove off.I was shocked and scared so i call 911 the cops could not find him and were having me to keep trying to call him, i got ahold of him but did not say were he was at he just said he wanted to be with his brother and he loved his girl, then he hung up and his phone went to voicemail. Time went by when i got a call from the cops and they told me they found him and he was o.k. The cops said they were going to take him to the hospital and he would be fine the police also said he was sobbing and told them to tell me thanks for helping him. I kinda feel responceble for the out come of this and too know he is safe and is going to get some well needed help, so gang this is why i think i may have saved a friends life today. Thanks for taking the time to read this i needed to talk about it.

its been my experiance...(and unfortunatly i've had a fair amount ) people that want to commit suicide find a nice quiet place where nobody will find/bother them. they don't usually run around telling people thier gonna kill themselves.
people that want to commit attention on the other hand usually find/call somebody to prevent it from happening.

he probably figured threatning death might lure a worried girl back to him. chances are he just pushed her further away.

now the cops are involved and his life just got alittle more complicated,(gun,d.u.i.,threaten suicide etc) he's going to need that sympathetic ear more so than before.

i'm not saying you did the wrong thing, he obviously needs some help if he's threatning to shoot himself.
he's def. gonna need a good friend to see him through the next couple months. let him know your concerned about his well being and hopefully this willl be a funny story ya can talk about when your old.

You did the right thing. I lost a friend who used to say "one of these days" and laugh. Never took him seriously.........Eventually he did it.........I spent years, feeling guilty......YOU DID the right thing.

you should be proud of yourself, you made the outcome a happy one, he'll pull thru and will thank you later

totally agreed, but its gonna get worse before it gets better. your not outta the woods yet.

his brothers still gone, his girlfriend hasn't come running back, and now he has the added legal issues to deal with.
ya def did the right thing, but he's gonna need you more now than he did before.

make sure ya check up on him/visit the hospital (or where ever he is) let him know ya care.
make sure he knows theres people out there that are concerned and would miss him if he where gone. he'll really need to hear that over the next few months.
he was obviously feeling left out in the cold, and not much has changed.

way to go, smart thinking calling the police. You are his best friend as far as I can see. There are levels of suicidal intentions, and the second to last level is holding the item you wish to use to commit it in your hand. He was at that level. That's a dark place to be. I hope he gets some therapy and comes around from this. Keep in touch with him and help him see all he as to live for. cheers to you

I know some of you think some of us are nuts for talking about ..... this and ..... that, Well this is the situation that we all can get into in a blink of an eye, when you give it to the Lord he will lead you thru and place people in your life to lean on....bottom line is you have to believe in him and seek him with your heart. Thank God you reacted the way you did and you were placed where you were,GOD Bless

all you can do is offer your hand in friendship if he wants it he will take it. good man you are

....My brother died right in front of me in a motorcycle accident about three weeks ago, I watched my little brother lose control of is bike and slam head first in to a turning car at 70 miles per hour, shattering his helmet, and causing massive brain damage and death. Which is why I'm taking time off the road, he was my Co-driver and we spent every minute of the day at each others side, sometimes I wonder if people realize the bond of brotherhood is so strong. I know until three weeks ago I took it for granted, I dearly miss my brother and want to be with him as well. so every night I pray for strength, peace, patients, and faith. It is the great friends like you are the ones that know that their friends life is most important and make the hard choice.

You did the right thing, I know it would only take a bad day and a little liquid courage for me to be pushed the wrong way. so again you did the right thing, better to lose a friendship then the life of a friend. In time he will understand, I know I would and I can fully relate to you friend.

Jason

Man Jason....so sorry to hear about your brother.

Just prayed for the Lord to give you strength and bring you through this time.

Good deed !!!

I know a little about this topic in more ways than one, but will not go into full details. I didn't reach out but was found. Individuals in dispair, whom feel they have no where to turn; on occassion do reach out before committing the act. But most times that is not the case as stated previously. Once convinced no alternative they cut themselves off from society or turn on society. During that moment one just wants whatever the cause of pain to stop. By taking their own life or forcing someone else to do it for them. They feel there is no where to turn. Fighting emotionial or physical pain can be tiring. When an individual is in that mood the problems can get inflatted by the mind. Hopefully, individuals that get to that point have a good support system and will reach out to family, friends, church, or a hot-line when in dispair.

I have been exposed to suicide incidents more than once, but the one I will comment on is when one of my brother's took his life. I found out after his death he was looking for me during his time of need but unfortunately I was unable to be reached. I carried a sence of guilt for a few years. Sometimes once one is convinced this is the only alternative nothing can be done. But I would have liked to try.

If nobody answered the calls for attention the individual may very well have committed the act.

So good job helping a freind in need.

Enough said. Sorry if offended anyone as don't normally comment on these topics. I waited a few days but couldn't resist.

PS -
Jason,
I am deeply sorry for your loss. I witnessed the same type of incident with a good friend some years ago.

Thanks guys for all the comments and words of comfort. my friend is doing fine and says he going to stop drinking and get some help. So once again guys Thank You i had to talk about it and feel much better now knowing that everything is going to be fine.

ratrodrog said:
Thanks guys for all the comments and words of comfort. my friend is doing fine and says he going to stop drinking and get some help. So once again guys Thank You i had to talk about it and feel much better now knowing that everything is going to be fine.
Well done mate... you so did the right thing ...and very brave as well...not a nice situation to be in to say the least!! best wishes to your work mate..

Latest posts

Back