Idaho Spud, Finished Photos

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0164.JPG

So I got inspired to keep going with this build, I have these cool deep fenders siting in my parts bin and since this bike is a total rat I'm gonna see how they fit.
IMG_0166.JPG

The fender swap also has to do with the fact that the fenders that are on the bike drive me nuts, no matter how many wheel adjustments I do they just keep rubbing and making noise.
IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0170.jpg
I'm also going to replace the three step rims with these prewar drop centers, the three step rims are really cool but there so out of true and so rusted I can't really fix them. Unless I completely re-lace them.

Last edited:
20180127_144619.jpg

Tested out the new fenders, they worked out so much better then I would have thought.

I also got the whole bike broke back down, so I could take it to a local bike shop for re- alignment since its so bent up.

A couple of my favorite builds of mine are ones where I mixed in fenders from another bike. And yes, usually the fenders were deeper and wider to give that 'covered' look to the tires and help the bike look like it's sitting lower. Can't wait to see your progress after things get 'straightened out'...

Frames been straightened out, and all small components have been cleaned.
IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG

This is one of the most satisfying parts of builds for me, all part getting cleaned up after so many years of neglect.

IMG_0187.jpg

Started reassembly and fender fitment, I'm going to cut the chrome fender down to match the Moto style of this bike.
IMG_0189.jpg

Many of the 20's & 30's moto bikes came with chromed(nickel) fenders. Looks good!
What's under the top layer of re-paint? Any ideas?

Last edited:
Many of the 20's & 30's moto bikes came with chromed fenders. Looks good!
What's under the top layer of re-paint? Any ideas?

Seems to be original paint, but not in any condition worth stripping the repaint. Plus I kind of dig the repaint it was redone in the 60s so the paint is actually pretty tough.

So you know how I said I was replacing the three step rims, well I got the wheel rebuilding bug and ended up rebuilding both wheels completely the front more then the rear. The front wheel ended up being 100% seized and I had to replace all the spokes.
IMG_0192.JPG

And yes one pic was taken at day time, the other at night. It only took a "quick" 4 1/2 hours :headbang: to get these rebuilt.
IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

I mounted a cream tire on the rear rim, but I'm torn between using these or just some black walls. I don't know, let me know what you guys think.
IMG_0199.JPG

Can you tell that I'm a little obsessive compulsive :D

Hard to decide without seeing them on the bike.... Nice job so far, scribble.

Guitarl.

Carl.

Mock up the tires, then you’ll know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so ecstatic with how nice this part of the build turned out :D. The fenders look so good on the bike, super happy I held on to them.
IMG_0201.JPG

Made a template for where I wanted to cut the fender, and then cut it off with my angle grinder.
IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

Mock up the tires, then you’ll know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep ^ mount em'. Photo em'. Post em'. :bigsmile:
Hard to decide without seeing them on the bike.... Nice job so far, scribble.

Guitarl.

Carl.

After some heel dragging I ended up putting the cream tires on, they make the bike pop. Black walls might be more classic but the creams just fit the build so well stay tuned for mock up part two.

IMG_0223.JPG

Disassembled the seat, don't worry I'm not getting rid of the cool seat recover.
IMG_0224.JPG

I had to take the seat apart because the bolts were all stripped.
IMG_0225.JPG

So I went and got replacement bolts, test fit them and then I epoxied the heck out of them.
IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

Oh and here's the bike almost fully assembled, just need to pick a stem and bar set up.
IMG_0232.JPG

Sorry about the quality I was filming with my phone.

Latest posts

Back