ideas for a wooden tank?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would anyone know or has anyone ever made a wooden tank for a beach cruiser? I'm thinking about trying to make one for a current build

Search on Google images.

There have been lots of wooden tanks made here. Check this one out from @Pedal2daMetal ...
IMG_8029.jpg

IMG_8099.jpg

Clamped a piece of 2x6 to the frame, traced frame opening onto wood and jig sawed rough shape. Then filed and sanded edges round and covered with fabric.....
Surely not as beautiful as the above posted but it fit my needs well.

20141227_073809_resized_1.jpg

20141227_080922_resized.jpg

I really liked this one made by CWC and sold to Kingfish.

I remember from College my art instructor telling me to let the paint be paint. In this case, let the wood be wood!

2013-03-01_18-19-53_539_zpsc547d91b.jpg
2013-03-01_18-21-22_827_zps5c744963.jpg

Great Burl you turned into that Tank style insert. That's a lot of sanding. How are you holding it in place when done. I have seen so many that have funky looking clamps on there. you don't want to take away from the wood . You are an Artist ! The seat angle looks painful though.

Great Burl you turned into that Tank style insert. That's a lot of sanding. How are you holding it in place when done. I have seen so many that have funky looking clamps on there. you don't want to take away from the wood . You are an Artist ! The seat angle looks painful though.
I wish that I could take credit for this, but it was created by @CWC . I can't recall if it ever got mounted properly. Maybe Kingfish can chime in.

I don't much like clamps either. While I didn't really do a 'tank', and it's pretty low rent compared to what's been posted here, this is what I did once:

Drilled 3 holes in my panels, and in a piece of metal running the length of the frame space...

Then sandwiched it with the wood panels using chainring bolts...

;-)

I don't much like clamps either. While I didn't really do a 'tank', and it's pretty low rent compared to what's been posted here, this is what I did once:

Drilled 3 holes in my panels, and in a piece of metal running the length of the frame space...

Then sandwiched it with the wood panels using chainring bolts...

;-)
That is a brilliant idea!

Luke.

heck with the tank ideas, i'm cracking up at a couple of the sig lines on this thread...

:D

What is that? A 2x6 cut to shape with screws in it to replicate rivets and painted? I am not downplaying it. I Really like it. Just wondering. Do you have a photo complete?

Latest posts

Back