If it ain' broke, don't fix it.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many people taking old road frames and converting them to fixed gears. While I enjoy the clean lines and simplicity of them I don't see the functionality as a daily-use machine. So I built a bike that has the look and well... brakes! I just 'finished' a 70's Fuji road frame. When I got it, it was a 10-speed collecting rust in an neighbor's backyard. I cleaned it up, bead blasted and sprayed it, put on some new wheels and some old Shimano pedals. The rear wheel is fixed on one side but can be flipped over to a freewheel cog (which I am running now). Its the first bike I've ever taken all the way apart, and although the paint is not awesome, I feel overall the bike looks pretty good. Take a look. (p.s. The brake cable doesn't look quite so bad in real life. Bad angle.)
Mods include: generic aero wheels, 80's Shimano 600 pedals, Schwinn Pixie inverted handlebars, 80's BMX seat, custom brake

BEFORE:

3 Fuji Side by curlywolf, on Flickr

DURING:

Bare frame by curlywolf, on Flickr

AFTER:

Fuji Flip single speed by curlywolf, on Flickr

Fuji Singelspeed by curlywolf, on Flickr

Fuji Singelspeed by curlywolf, on Flickr

Nice build. :) I have an 80's Fugi road bike hanging from the ceiling now that I will be doing something similar to this winter. I agree about the functionability of fixies from road bikes but, I like the boardtrack inverted bar look on diamond frame roadies. Good job. I bet it is a fun ride. :D

yeah, i just can't see making a good bike into a fixie. i did it once, but even then i used a 3sp coaster brake and made a faux fixie.

Picture101.jpg

Picture163.jpg

right now i have a schwinn varsity i got for $15 last weekend. couldn't pass it up. for whatever reason it was missing the chain, but everything else worked good, and it looks good. i stuck a chain on and rode it around the block. didn't have to adjust gears or brakes, just put a little more air in the tires. rides great.

but it's just not my kind of bike, and it'd be a shame to cut it up, so now i just have it. i may sell it and the next person can strip/fixie it, but i won't do it myself.

Love the frame on that one. Haven't seen that frame design before. Yea, I have a 70's Varsity that I paid about the same for and remember wanting one back in the day but, I keep wondering how it would look boardtracked. :? If you want to sell your Varsity, let me know how much. I may be interested. I found a
World Traveler this weekend for free. Someone moved out of there home and left it out by the trash. It came with a matching ladies bike. I think my boss wants it so... But, yea, let me know. If I had another Varsity, I would rat one or do something cool with it. They are kind of boring to ride really. But, they are vintage and cool in their own way. Peace. :)

it a folding mountain bike frame i like.

i don't think the varsity is worth shipping but i'll send a quick pm so not to send this thread off on a sales tangent.

Latest posts

Back