I'm Back! Hit a deer on my motorcycle.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been here that much for the past year or so, sold off most of my bikes when I got financially stressed a while ago. I will say that I am back into this hobby. I still have my orange Raleigh to finish as well as making custom bikes for my girlfriend snd her 2 year old son.

Date was September 8th, 2013. Roughly 1:30am heading eastbound on US18 towards Milwaukee from Madison. It was late but was probably one of the most beautiful rides I had ever had on my Suzuki Drz400s dual sport. Road was still a little warm from the sun beating down on it all day so I could corner beautifully, bike gave me full confidence and I was just toolin' along home enjoying the crisp night air and waiting to get home and see my beautiful girlfriend. Then blurriness and I wake up in the hospital with an arm sling and a neck brace. I had hit a deer, I don't remember anything from a few miles before the crash site to waking up in the hospital. It scares me, the fact of it being that close to forever blackness. I was found unconscious on the side of the road and face down, bike was trashed, deer was dead. I don't know yet who found me on the road, but I do owe them my life. I was told by the police officer who was first on scene that I came in and out of consciousness while there. Him stressing that I stayed laying down and not to move. Me cursing up a storm when I was conscious. I was taken by ambulance to the Aurora Medical Center in Summit, WI and went through the usual ER stuff and got a CAT scan. Don't remember any of that stuff that happened.

Overall I spent 2 nights and 3 days in the Hospital. Had broken my right collar bone in 2 places with some bad fragmentation as well. Got 8 screws and a schnazzy metal plate put in there to fix that. Otherwise there was minor road rash, bruised ankle, and a sprained thumb. My $500 worth of gear saved me a lot of pain and also saved my life. I hit my head bad enough to get knocked out, if I hadn't of been wearing my helmet I wouldn't be here to talk about it. I learned good habits from great riders and played this riding season smart. Feeling some effects of PTSS even though i don't want to think about it. I'm freaking out at times and I can't sleep. Its a very stressful situation now in my life besides the recovering from an accident as I'm quiting my old job and stuck waiting to recover to start my new one.

I'm not going to end this saying that this "Event changed my life" but some things will not change and some will. I'm going to treat things differently. Learn more and up my riding ability, spend more time with my Girlfriend and family and friends, take this life and enjoy it! I lost my DRZ, all my gear, and 2 month of working. I DO still have my Girlfriend, Parents, Friends, CBR, the pos Sabre, My truck, my toys, MY LIFE

Last edited:
This may be the understatement of the week but I'll say it anyway... glad you're still alive, man!

after totaling out my CrownVic this year because of a big buck in Co...those darn things can come out of nowhere...sure was glad I was in my Crown Vic...can't imagine hitting one on a Motorcycle.
Glad you ride 'safely' and are here to tell about it. Knew a guy this year on a Harley hit my friends Harley..he got distracted. The were only going about 15mph..he went down and did not survive..guess what no helmet.

Glad you are still with us. I can't imagine hitting a deer on a bike. Worst I have done was hit loose gravel (No signs up) doing 70 on a Suzuki GS850 and had the bike wash out from under me, lots of road rash and a totaled bike but I was okay (Little sore but okay). Good thing is you're able to come back from it, the bike can be replaced, your life can't.

Also man why is the Honda Sabre a POS? I had one and I loved it, probably one of my favorite bikes.

Lol the 1984 honda sabre has been through 4 owners in the last 2 years. One of the previous owners was colorblind and redid all the wiring so thsts been a major hassle. Bike has had a full engine rebuild as well as rebuilt carbs. Still wont run proper and I've lost my interest.

Plus my Cbr looks far better 8)

Wow, that's terrifying. Glad you're alive, recovering, and in good spirits.

MarksA-C said:
Lol the 1984 honda sabre has been through 4 owners in the last 2 years. One of the previous owners was colorblind and redid all the wiring so thsts been a major hassle. Bike has had a full engine rebuild as well as rebuilt carbs. Still wont run proper and I've lost my interest.

Plus my Cbr looks far better 8)

Sounds like the one I had, when I got it it had been through about 5 paint jobs, and a few previous owners that did their own "Modifications" Lucky for me my friend worked at the local Honda shop for 20 years and helped me get it sorted out.

Photo1008.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

That's my drz400. Forks were dent bad, engine cases had damage. Long list of broken stuff and was totaled.

Below here is my 1993 cbr900rr. Lots of modifications and custom machining. Will make as post about it later.

IMG_3811.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg

IMG_3823-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back