in search of the perfect front hub.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a set of wheels built and the vendor didn't offer any quality hubs to match the wheels. I should have just ordered the rings.... Lesson learned. So I'm having the front respoked and want to use a new quality hub. I like the Shimano XT without the disk brake mount but I also would like a high flange design. Origin 8/Formula I like the look of but I think the price is a little high. What are you using on the front?

What kind of bike is this hub/Wheetset for? Are you looking for a particular look/color?

Highflange hubs- look for something older/used.

cman said:
What kind of bike is this hub/Wheetset for? Are you looking for a particular look/color?

Highflange hubs- look for something older/used.

It's going on an Electra Tigershark. It's been ratted out so to speak and uses none of the original parts other than the frame and chain at this point.... It's for a 2.5 inch wheel up front so I need something fairly strong and I's like bolt on but that is not totally necessary. Silver or black would work.

This is the bike kinda. It's been changed again but this is the overall look.

IMG-20130418-00032_zps8e0cbfec.jpg

If those are the wheels, those hubs look fine. Functionally I don't think a higher quality hub will be noticed. I would invest my money elsewhere.

cman said:
If those are the wheels, those hubs look fine. Functionally I don't think a higher quality hub will be noticed. I would invest my money elsewhere.
Thanks, but I hate the front hub. It looks terrible and cheap and does not fit the bike.

Hey, Donovan......if you're already planning to redo the front wheel, anyways, I'm surprised you're not considering installing some sort of hub brake, so you can better avoid those potholes. :wink:

Rooski said:
Hey, Donovan......if you're already planning to redo the front wheel, anyways, I'm surprised you're not considering installing some sort of hub brake, so you can better avoid those potholes. :wink:

LOL HEY! What's happening man. I want to install a disk up there. I got the disk hub but it's terrible. Like a $5 hub. I may go with Shimano XT MTB hub still. The issue is trying to find a dang caliper hanger to retrofit the front fork without welding something in there. So I may just go the easy way. US choppers is constantly out of the hanger.

I used my Electra hub that came on the bike and built it myself!!! Trued with tie wraps!! :)

subadrew said:
I have an older high flange front hub I'd sell pretty cheap if your interested (and I can find it). I can't remember who the maker is, but I think it's 36 hole.
Thank you sir, however I spoked up the above yesterday.

Haven't used them but saw these disc brake adapters on ebay, in-stock at least and cheaper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-brake-...ultDomain_0&hash=item3f2418963d#ht_207wt_1216

EDIT: Meant to add
As far as Shimano and quality, I'd take the sealed bearing Formula hubs over them at XT level any day. Shimano is still loose ball up until 770 series where at least you start to get caged bearings, and not one sealed bearing at the XT level to be seen, even on 15mm stuff.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdoc...4395181679&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302051947

socal_jack said:
Haven't used them but saw these disc brake adapters on ebay, in-stock at least and cheaper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-brake-...ultDomain_0&hash=item3f2418963d#ht_207wt_1216

EDIT: Meant to add
As far as Shimano and quality, I'd take the sealed bearing Formula hubs over them at XT level any day. Shimano is still loose ball up until 770 series where at least you start to get caged bearings, and not one sealed bearing at the XT level to be seen, even on 15mm stuff.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdoc...4395181679&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302051947

:shock: Thanks for the link. I don't think I'd put that on a real MTB that I needed great clamping power but I think that would work on a cruiser in conjunction with a rear coaster. Thanks for the link!

Shimano runs loose balls in all of their hubs, including xtr (I'd be stunned if xtr had cages; cages are convenient, but performance-oriented). They're angular contact bearings, which are strong and reliable under any kind of load. Downside is more maintenance, but they're good for racers (less drag, deals well with lateral stress.) I have run a lot of xt hubs, and some lower-end shimano hubs as well; theyre good, reliable, adjustable, and very easy to rebuild.

That being said, sealed bearings are tough to beat on a commuting bike, or a cruiser for JRA. I still love xt m756 hubs though; an all-time favorite (and still available new, all these years later.)

Moot point, though; donovan relaced his wheel, and it looks good! :mrgreen:

Thanks 808! It's still good to know these things. Appreciate the compliment as well. I hadn't done a wheel build since.... forever.

Yep. relaced wheel looks nice.

Looks like 970/975 XTRs have cages according to Shimano docs, and it looks like some of the Saint varieties have sealed bearings(front not back) of course those are more for Freeride/DH where stresses are greater. I've completely moved from Shimano due several past failures, broken pawls, constantly required maintenance etc. On MTBR at least for a several year period there were seemingly a high number of people busting pawls up to XT level(some models better than others on XT). Here's one of my Shimano freehub innards post dissection, no dirt intrusion, clean just as you see it, 3 months use and it turned into a fixie on the trail going up a hill (what a PITA). The replacement freehub never felt right so off it came. Supposedly Shimano fessed up to poor heat treating on the pawls but the unbalanced pawl arrangement can't be helping things especially if the preload loosens up.

IMG_1425.jpg

Latest posts

Back