Interesting Huffy prototype

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up another bike over the weekend. The Mrs. isn't too crazy about my new hobby (shocker), but she likes the fact that this will be a father/son project with my 13 yr old. Should be fun. He's leaning towards painting it black and adding some chrome apes (although I think these bars are awesome)!

It's a prototype Huffy moto style with a bit of stretch. Never made it to production so there's just a couple around.

It's on 24x3s and the front's too tight so we'll put in a 26x2.125 there.

Terry66 said:
I wish I would have bought it! I'd like to hear more about the bike from Bryan sometime. It's a cool looking bike.

I was hoping you wouldn't...lol. Thanks for cluing me in on it!! Also, the same son was flipping out over your bike Grumpy :D

That is very interesting, the double double stem is overkill!

I would like to see more evidence that it's a Huffy......

Lewie said:
Terry66 said:
I wish I would have bought it! I'd like to hear more about the bike from Bryan sometime. It's a cool looking bike.

I was hoping you wouldn't...lol. Thanks for cluing me in on it!! Also, the same son was flipping out over your bike Grumpy :D

No problem! I just thought it was a cool frame that had a really nice feel to it. You had mentioned a little bigger frame once, so when I saw it and the price was right, I thought you might like it. The longer wheelbase and styling just seemed like something with tons of potential that could be a great rider. :D

Grumpy is awesome. I keep saying I want to get rid of it, but I never do. I do think I am going to post it for trade and see what I offers I can get.

From what I understand, Huffy has been (& still is) headquartered near Dayton, OH for well over 100 yrs. Supposedly, this bike was designed & built by their engineers in Dayton. They made 1 or 2 and that was the end of it. It changed hands locally once or twice & ended up in the back room of a really cool, rat rod friendly bike store collecting dust for the past several yrs.

Thanks guys. I worked on it for a few hours last night. Stopped by the LBS on the way home from work & picked up a matching 26" cruiser wheel. Got home put on a tire. Looks correct, fits good & rides great. Waxed the frame & polished the chrome. Raised the 2 stems up a little bit. I didn't realize they adjust :lol: Got rid of the spider nests under the seat :shock: Lookin good.

I was surprised there wasn't a dab of lube or a drop of oil anywhere, so I lubed it all up pretty good without getting in to the bearings yet, but it leaves me wondering if there's any there so I'll have to check it out.

Huffman is no longer in Dayton. Schwinn, Huffy, Murray, Mongoose, and Roadmaster all went out of business due to cheap overseas bicycle companies. All the names got bought up by a company called "PacificCycle". All bikes are badge-engineered and are mass produced junk at Wal-Mart or your other favorite big box store. The scrap yards here are full of them Pacific Cycle bikes. I can't work in the GM dept of a store nowadays, knowing I'm selling somebody a Yugo with two wheels. Too my knowledge, Huffy was the last big Amaerican bicycle company to close their doors for good, in 2006.

IF this bike is indeed a prototype (any documentation?) and IF it did in fact come from the Dayton plant before it closed, you may have the last known Huffy prototype in existince. This looked like it was from the whoe "muscle bike and chopper craze" around 2003-2006, so I think its a possibility.

partsguy said:
IF this bike is indeed a prototype (any documentation?) and IF it did in fact come from the Dayton plant before it closed, you may have the last known Huffy prototype in existince. This looked like it was from the whoe "muscle bike and chopper craze" around 2003-2006, so I think its a possibility.

Very interesting. I just don't know & am going by what I was told. I'll have to get the full story from the guy I bought it from.

Here's a couple new pics cleaned up & with a 26" front tire.

I sadly doubt that. The competition from chinese bicycle companies was just too much. The American consumer is quite often the most ignorant. Many say they want stuff made in the USA, they wish things were made in America again...yet many refuse to put their money where their mouth is and actually find something made in America and pay up for it. Most people don't want to pay the extra few dollars.

I am one of the few exceptions and have many times bought a product based on the fact it was made here, there are others that do this as well, but not many.

Thanks everyone. It's fun to ride. We're leaving it as is too. No mods other than the front tire/wheel. The original green marbled paint looks good cleaned up & has grown on us quickly. I loved the fact that it was made in Dayton, just an hour away from home. And the best part is I got it for what I thought was an outstanding deal (cost the same as taking my wife & 3 kids out to Texas Roadhouse for my wife's b-day last week)!! Thank you again Terry :)

Back