Interesting New 2015 Electra Moto-Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had any bad experiences with Trek and I've had a few decent Chinese bikes, but my Electra Deluxe was about the most overrated turd I have owned. The build quality on it was flat out crap! The chrome appeared to be about a micron thick and spots, corrosion and rust would appear on it even when kept dry. I bunny hopped a curb, missed my landing by a little bit and taco-ed the rim. At the time, I thought that was all, but after truing it as best I could I discovered that the left crank arm had also bent during the landing, badly. I can understand the rim being damaged, but bending a crank? I pulled the kickstand off it and put it on a mountain bike, as it looked like a very nice kickstand. Wrong! The bike was pushed back with some gentle force and the cranks rotating backwards snapped the metal on the hinge mechanism right off.

The thing about Trek is, like most major bike companies, they make some crap, and they make some good stuff, and what you get will mostly be determined by the pricepoint of the bike, although there are some exceptions. B/c Trek has such a huge market presence, their cheapo-bikes will cost more than cheapo bikes of second- and third-tier makers. I predict that this "Moto", as a $500 disc-equipped Trek, will be built to a thin nickel, and the $500 could be far better spent elsewhere...

Similarly, China makes some good bikes, and they make some duds. I have no beef with Chinese ppl, but I do feel kind of bad supporting companies that use Chinese labor, as their regs are so lax over there.... kids work long hours, pay is pitiful, and ppl are actually conscripted to work specific jobs, against their will, and they have to "apply" to quit, if they don't like it. Even if a given frame is awesome, I don't want to buy it at any price if there is undue levels of human misery behind its manufacture.

My beef with Trek, vis-à-vis China, is that Trek started out as a small manufacturer of framesets in Wisconsin way back in the day, but quickly built a wildly successful bike company by offering high-quality American-made frames with nice imported components via reputable dealers. And, when they were basically at the height of their success, they sold out and moved the vast majority of their production overseas. This is one of US bicycling's "Big 3"; the other 2 are Giant (Taiwanese company, always been made in Taiwan--- got their start building frames under contract for other firms....good for them) and Specialized (always been more of a design/marketing firm; never made their own stuff--- built an empire by finding other ppl's good products and either buying them cheap to sell at a large profit, or stealing the design and having it made cheaper by other firms, eg Tom Richey's early mtbs were aped and sold as Stumpjumpers)... So, yeah, Spesh and Giant sells far-eastern imports.... like they always have. No shame in that game. Trek, however, began as something awesome and then decided that being profitable is better than being awesome, even though they were profitable during their awesome years. That's super disappointing.

Sorry to hear about your taco'd rim, Bob Gray. I think I recall you mentioning it on here a long ways back, when you first joined RRB, but the story is as disappointing now as it was then. I've never owned an Electra-- I may not be all that fashionable, but I do have a reputation to uphold. I can't be seen pedaling around on garbage like that. :crazy: I have had the "pleasure" of wrenching on a few Electras, and I wasn't impressed. They're pretty much generic new-school cruisers, but they command (commanded? do ppl still wanna buy them like they did ten years ago?) a premium price, I guess b/c they had a few geo gimmicks, a lot of advertising, and a decent dealer network. Overpriced, mediocre bikes, but NBD.... seatpost story is pretty shocking, though.

Seriously, you bunny hopped a Electra beach cruiser and didn't expect the rim to bend, come on man, most beach cruisers can't take that, as they are built for cruising and staying on the ground. That's why I own beach cruisers, BMX cruisers, and mountain bikes....different tools for different jobs.....:headbang:

Horses for courses, sure, and I have bikes of different styles, but I tend to equip my cruisers with DH/AM rims, and I bunny hop as much as I can on'm.

I'll be using a set of Electra Cruiser rims for my Klunker build ;) I'll report back maybe this weekend.

Yeah, when they fold, build yourself something sweet around a set of Sun-Ringle MTX-33 rims. They're absolutely Bomb-proof. I weigh 245lbs (down from 260) and I've got a lot of miles on several different MTX-based wheelsets.... Never had any issues; just periodic routine truing to keep them perfect. And, yes, I know that Sun used to be an American-made firm, but they outsourced production to Asia.... shortly after they bought Ringle, though, they were having trouble turning profits, so they did what they had to survive...Sun makes Wheelsmith spokes, too, and the spokes/nips are still made in USA....

Seriously, you bunny hopped a Electra beach cruiser and didn't expect the rim to bend, come on man, most beach cruisers can't take that, as they are built for cruising and staying on the ground. That's why I own beach cruisers, BMX cruisers, and mountain bikes....different tools for different jobs.....:headbang:

Had it just been the rim I would be fine with it. As you say, beach cruisers weren't exactly intended for hopping curbs. If I damaged the rim on my road bike doing the same thing it wouldn't make it a bad road bike. However...that rim was just the tip of the iceberg. Seriously, how many times have you rolled your bike backward a couple feet and been stopped by the cranks hitting the kickstand? How many times did it cause your kickstand to self destruct? How many times after hopping a curb have you found your crank arm bent and twisted about 10 degrees? How often do you find rust and corrosion on a bike that's been garaged after only a few months?

Seriously, the bike just didn't hold up. I have about 10 bikes and that's the only one that seemed to break when you looked at it crosseyed.

Lol I had a wally world Ocean Pacific cruiser from the 90s that I used like a bmx bike and nothing bent. Nothing beats hitting ramps and doing bunny hops on a 50lb cruiser.

I took the Electra on several trails (off a paved greenway) and no issues. I've yet to even true the wheels after 2 years :) All the trail riding was on the original 26x2.125 knobby tires.

By the way what makes ya think the Electra rims will fold any more than a standard single wall aluminum rim from the LBS?

Aside from the fact that yours probably already have some miles on them, nothing. The single-wall aluminum rim from the LBS will fold, too. (It might last a little longer if it was properly hand-built, as opposed to being machine-built like most oem cruiser wheels are....)

Sad, but true: given enough use, all wheels fail, eventually.

Generally speaking, there are factors that contribute or detract from overall wheel strength. The build itself is crucial: hand-built trumps machine-built, unless the human builder is a no-talent hack. Materials matter, too: aluminum > steel...(although I watched the "klunking 1" video, where Lars dirt jumps a Worksman with no tire at all on the rear factory wheel, which still seems to be true after a lot of this abuse. Then again, Worksman wheels are moped-style, and weigh fafr mor than a bike wheel ought to...) Construction means a lot: double wall beats single wall, although I'm sure there are exceptions. Design considerations: my experience has been that box-section (square) rims do not hold up as well as v-section (triangle) rims. Again, there must be exceptions, but for a box to be stronger than a V, it will need to be overbuilt. An overbuilt V will beat the overbuilt box. The reasons being, box is more susceptible to side dings, and the structure of the V rim sustains vertical hits better than the box does. Laws of physics, or whatever.

I'm sure there are other factors and, again, there are bound to be exceptions, but these are the conclusions I've made after a dozen years of being fat while riding offroad. Pretty much all of it jives with the "conventional wisdom" espoused at most bike shops and internet forums.

I wasn't trying to say your wheels suck, Tony... I'm just saying that klunking kills wheels, and those wheels can be replaced with something more klunkable, when they fail.

This bike is the hotness, I wish they had put an 8 or 11 speed in there though. Yes, I realize it would cost a few hundo more.

The bike is already spaced 135mm; you could buy the SS version and for "a few hundo more", you could lace in the Alfie of your choice... Widespread internet rumors indicate that the Alfine 8 can handle off-label low ratios and real offroad abuse....

Personally, if I were going to do something like that, I'd wanna try the NuVinci. The only IGH, aside for Rohloff, approved by the manufacturer for trail use. Plus, it's a CVT, which is just cool.

I got a bit more info from my LBS. Looks like these will be hitting dealers sometime in October. The bummer for me is that they're not going to make different frame sizes like I was hoping. I was thinking maybe a simple offering of 3 sizes would be possible. I'll still check one out, but it may feel a little small for someone over 6 foot.

I got a bit more info from my LBS. Looks like these will be hitting dealers sometime in October. The bummer for me is that they're not going to make different frame sizes like I was hoping. I was thinking maybe a simple offering of 3 sizes would be possible. I'll still check one out, but it may feel a little small for someone over 6 foot.
Shame they will not be offering different size frames... :(

Luke.

I think it looks like a neat little cruiser with some neo-retro klunker style. Should be fun commuting, or riding paved and gravel bike trails.

But that's all it is. I think that's all it's meant to be. Nothing wrong with that. I may pick one up if the size works and there's room in the garage this fall.

Comments on this thread have me concerned folks will buy it thinking it's going to be a real MTB and end up disappointed.

;-)

I think it looks like a neat little cruiser with some neo-retro klunker style. Should be fun commuting, or riding paved and gravel bike trails.

But that's all it is. I think that's all it's meant to be. Nothing wrong with that. I may pick one up if the size works and there's room in the garage this fall.

Comments on this thread have me concerned folks will buy it thinking it's going to be a real MTB and end up disappointed.

;-)

Yeah... I guess it looks like a fish, but if you put it in water, it would probably drown....:21:

OTOH, ppl talk about the concept of a "real" MTB, but I bet this "thing" would be as capable offroad as most mountain bikes from the late 70s til 1990 or so. I worry about the frame a bit, whereas most of those old steel framed mtbs were strong enough.... but the geometry on many wasn't very good for descending, or tight switchbacks. One of my favorite styles of bike is the late 80s MTBs with the horizontal toptubes and the chainstay-mounted u-brakes.... but I like them as town bikes, or low-buck touring/camping bikes. I never felt real comfortable offroading with them. However, obviously, top-level mtb racers rode them offroad with confidence and great results BITD, so....

..what is a real MTB, anyway?

PS- when you offer a bike with discs and knobbies, call it the "Moto", and charge $500 to $600 for it, you gotta understand that a lot of folks are going to assume it's trail-worthy...

..what is a real MTB, anyway?

To me its a very rigid bike & wheels that will survive anything I throw it it for riding off road.

Sorry had to answer.

As a funny note most MTBs I've had I wouldn't count as real MTB not even the Giants or Treks probably the best I had was a old early 90s Gary Fisher.

To me its a very rigid bike & wheels that will survive anything I throw it it for riding off road.

Sorry had to answer.

As a funny note most MTBs I've had I wouldn't count as real MTB not even the Giants or Treks probably the best I had was a old early 90s Gary Fisher.
Hey, I like that answer, although I'm scratching my head at "very rigid", as the majority of serious trail bikes have suspension these days. I've been a committed full-rigid guy ever since I sold my last Hardtail, a Specialized RockHopper, probably like 12 years ago. The bob drives me nuts....

Hard to tell from the pics if the wheels are anything special, but looking at the cranks and stem along with the general construction, one would assume it would be reasonably capable of holding up to some off road work...
Just my opinion of course...

Luke.

Hey, I like that answer, although I'm scratching my head at "very rigid", as the majority of serious trail bikes have suspension these days. I've been a committed full-rigid guy ever since I sold my last Hardtail, a Specialized RockHopper, probably like 12 years ago. The bob drives me nuts....
If I ever get another soft tail it needs to have a lockout same for the fork. Also needs to be very well designed unlike most soft tail bikes.

Mostly by very rigid I'm meaning it needs to be strong and able to take a hit or drop and not bend or break like so many I've had.

That old Gary fisher I had got beat like a rented mule and never had a problem.
A good example:
There was a field by where I lived that had been dozed to be turned into a neighborhood and a friend and I decided to race our bikes across it.
Little did we realize they had dug a big hole for a basement; I had looked back to see how far ahead I was and went over the edge of the hole and dropped 7 feet landed on the wheels and was still able to ride home. The wheels were slightly out of true from the impact but not bad.
To me that's a rigid bike and the way a true MTB should be.

Latest posts

Back