Interesting New 2015 Electra Moto-Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Transition is still an indy manufcturer, no relation to Trek. Buddy's Trek shop may also be a Transition dealer. I was hot for the Klunker, but not the price as a non-Transition dealer, so the Moto 3 will have to do...

Thanks for the review. I've been interested in this bike since the pictures were released. I've been waiting on a kona humuhmu, but I'd like to check this bike out before I pay for the kona. I really like the looks of the electra.

Also have been hot for the Kona klunker forever, but could not justify as a non Kona shop...

Trek has done the Rig SS forever, but at $1k+ for a bike I'd use infrequently, no thanks. Same thing with the Sawyer -- too much money for what it was. The Electra Moto bikes fit the bill right well.

Where did you hear or read this?

This is the latest I can find:
  1. The Trek Bicycle Corporation consists of several brands:
    • Trek Bikes.
    • Electra Bicycle Company.
    • Klein Bikes (discontinued)
    • LeMond Racing Cycles (discontinued)
    • Gary Fisher Bikes (now Trek's "Gary Fisher Collection")
    • Diamant Bikes (Germany)
    • Villiger Bikes (Switzerland)
    • Bontrager parts Trek's in-house parts and accessories.

I did not hear it I assumed it because of my buddy's purchase.

From the picture it looks to me like it has better off road geo than the Transition Klunker. I wonder what it weighs? Quite a few of these psudo Klunkers are appearing from various sources. Most psudos probably handle better than the originals, but they ain't the original, too many modern components in my mind. I would rather see it with rim brakes for weight savings if it is light to begin with but put on a dropper seat post. It's probably aluminum framed and not all that light or buttery in its ride like chromoly. So far non of these psudos has tempted me away from my 1940 framed Klunker, except the Koski Brothers new Bro Cruiser, but I can't even afford their forks. I hope to see more of these type bikes on the trails this summer.

Moto 3 weighs 32lbs on the shop scale.

Rides like it weighs less, I would have guessed 28-30. Because of the clunky components on it, I don't think it would be too hard to shave 4-5 lbs by swapping pretty much everything except the frameset.

Frame is aluminum, BTW.

Aloha all,

I appreciate all of the information on the Moto 1. I now have a Moto 8.

Latest project was a used Electra Moto 1 found on Craigslist for $280 negotiated. Used parts from my Swobo Baxter with Moto parts to make a final product and a selloff of the Baxter on CL for $270.

Start with this;

Turns into this (tandem for my son);

Add this;

Subtract this;

Equals:

I never did quite like the Baxter fit for me and was always swapping stems, risers, etc. Love the fit of the Moto 8, like a relaxed mountain bike, cruiser. Most of the bling credit goes to Brooks, PDW and Woody's fenders.

Classic parts make a pleasing mix. Some 40mm tires are on the way to replace the 32s.

That's why I own beach cruisers, BMX cruisers, and mountain bikes....different tools for different jobs.....

+100.

I like my Electra cruiser. I've replaced a lot of components that either failed or I broke: a crank, spokes, saddle - I don't think it was particularly well specified to begin with - it is now - and was no big deal to fix.
It's a really nice frame and geometry - and I added a chromoly Mongoose and modified my Kona for proper abusing.

Luke - I share your pain - I've made all my 26" fit me fine but I will probably add a 29er next.
I like this new one too - although it would need at least 7 speed chain gears to get me really interested. If I was going to buy hub gears again it would want to be a belt drive.

I finally got to see the moto in person, a delivery guy in NYC was riding one. It looked pretty sweet to me.

Was perusing through the Forum looking for info on Electras and found this thread which has some really good information on Electras. My daily rider is a Townie 3i which is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. I just bought a 21D and the ride on this one is really nice. I have a tentative deal to buy a 2004 3 Speed Rally Sport on Thursday of this week. This will be the first steel Electra that I will have. I hope I am not disappointed.

Bought the Electra Rally Sport on the way home from an out of town trip. Very nice but needs some grips, a chain and maybe another seat. Gonna purdy it up before I post pics. Bike has these huge fatti tires 24x3. It is a Rally Sport Track from either 2006 or 2007. Appears to be a fairly rare bike. Can't wait to get it buttoned up and post some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back