Is stripping to metal that important?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read on here, most of you will strip the frame down to metal before you paint it. Is this necessary?

Just wondering if I clean it real good and maybe get a brillow pad or some light sand paper then paint it if that will work?

I did find a guy that will strip and powder coat the frame for $60 and I'm thinking about doing this, but if I can get away with not stripping it I may just rattle can it myself.

TIA

not necessary if the bike has nice paint already, only time you really need to is if the original paint is bad like cracking or really sunbaked, sometimes its just easier to go all out and strip it if its had a bad repaint already. paint job is only as good as whats underneath it.

If I could find someone to do a powder coat frame job for $60 I think I would give it a try. That's as cheap as it gets, and if it's a nice job that would be well worth it. Gary

Painting should be called prep. Everything you do before spraying paint will determine how the finished job looks.

Stop stripping when you get a good smooth surface for the new paint to stick to. If the old stuff is brittle, deeply scratched/cracked, or peeling, it is just easier to go to metal. Rust is another good reason. If there is no old paint left, you have complete control over your paint from the foundation (primer) all the way up to the roof (clear coat). If there is old paint left, the foundation may be weak.

Latest posts

Back