Is this worth it?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
...for a three hour round trip? I'm pretty sure it's a CWC built bike. I'm hoping the house paint will clean off, but who knows.

Don't lick a gift horse in the mouth!

Unless the price is high, or more than you will spend...

CWC fenders and sprocket for certain, frame looks like the same guy welded and brazed it as did mine.
How much do they want??

Don't LOOK a gift horse in the mouth.... LICKING any horse is not a good plan. ;-)

CWC fenders and sprocket for certain, frame looks like the same guy welded and brazed it as did mine.
How much do they want??

Don't LOOK a gift horse in the mouth.... LICKING any horse is not a good plan. ;-)

It's a pretty good price, well within my price range. I'm trying to figure out that chain guard... can't really find any online.

Looks mostly correct CWC (except guard). The forged blade fork with the curved fender braces would lead me to call it a '39 or '40 double bar roadster. There was never a tank produced for these and this was usually about the highest equipped they came, other than an optional rack.

The chainguard is a Manton & Smith. You can easily sell that and purchase a correct guard with some coin left over. Sweet bike! Go get'r.

I wonder if this bike had a chain guard at all? Looking at another picture from the seller, it looks like there is no cut out on the rear fender for a guard and it kind of looks like someone bent the guard a little to fit it around the fender

From Way back here it looks like a Shelby....

~RafaeL~

I could be wrong, but I believe I have seen that guard on Shelbys, Monarchs and even Iver Johnsons of the era. I don't know who manufactured it, but my observations lead me to believe it was probably available in the aftermarket.

I wonder if this bike had a chain guard at all? Looking at another picture from the seller, it looks like there is no cut out on the rear fender for a guard and it kind of looks like someone bent the guard a little to fit it around the fender

I would agree that this is most likely. By 1939, this frame had fallen out of favor for more modern stylings. This was so 1936. It got dropped to the bottom price tier for bicycles and was offered relatively unequipped. The light could have been added for probably 50 cents or so.

Here's a '39 catalog page. This was the only double bar roadster model offered in that catalog. Truss rods, forged fork, no guard, straight braces. I think the curved braces came in late '39 but became staples through 1940 and '41. The frame was likely made until the war but remained a low-level offering. A serial would narrow the date down. I'd guess it starts with an F or G.

1939%20roadmaster%20cat%20pg18.jpg

From Way back here it looks like a Shelby....

~RafaeL~

This double parallel frame was very popular for a few years. Shelby, Colson and CWC had strikingly similar frames. Judging by other parts on it, and the geometry of the frame, despite the small picture, CWC is what I'd put my money on.

This guard may have been offered aftermarket, since there seem to be more of them than Manton & Smith bicycles. But here's this--a rare '39 Golden Zephyr:

1939-Manton-Smith-3.jpg

It was the Curved Braces that lead and still makes me think Shelby...
I could be Wrong , I was wrong once Before !:rolleyes:

~RafaeL~

Shucks You mean someone Changed the Badge !:comando:

~RafaeL~

lol...Just Jokin around with you, That bike Is Major COOL whatever it is !

~RafaeL~

Got it home today. Head badge says All American Cleveland Welding Company. It's a very straight bike, not sure if the house paint will come off though. Has some nice parts, but I haven't dug into it yet...

Also the chainguard is not bent to fit around the fender like I thought I saw in the seller's picture. The chain guard is actually cut out (factory done) where it goes around the fender which would make me believe it was aftermarket for this bike.

I took the badge off and there is nice original ivory paint underneath... What do you guys think is the best way to get the blue off? Paint stripper, Steel wool, paint thinner?

Latest posts

Back