JC Higgins found in UK

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this bike up on the weekend over here in the UK. Not too many of these in this country so always a nice surprise when one pops up on Ebay or Gumtree.

It looks as though someone sprayed red over the original red paint but since it was done long ago its starting to flake off and looks kind of nice. It came with the original seat but was missing the cover...might try and find someone to re cover it although the edges of the seat are dangerously sharp. I already had the tank so I was really happy to find a red JC Higgins.

The previous owner had pulled the back wheel apart to clean it but now the brake seems to have stopped working so I will need to take it into the shop to get fixed. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Things i plan to do are:

- Fix the brake
- Find a seat
- Change the pedals & grips
- Try to find a schwinn typhoon for the front wheel to match the back although this will be difficult in the UK
- Put my truss rods onto it once they arrive from the US

Can anyone tell roughly what year it would be? Have any pictures of a similar one?

I was watching that, went for a good price in the end!

what size are the tyres? If they are 1 3/4 you may have luck finding some 'butcher/delivery' bike ones!

Get it rideable and join us all on the Windsor cruise this Sunday :) or failing that the London cruise the following weekend!

I was watching that, went for a good price in the end!

what size are the tyres? If they are 1 3/4 you may have luck finding some 'butcher/delivery' bike ones!

Get it rideable and join us all on the Windsor cruise this Sunday :) or failing that the London cruise the following weekend!

I actually just bought some 26x2.15 whitewalls off ebay. They arent amazing but they will do the job until I can locate a schwinn typhoon cord for the front wheel.

What are the details for this ride in London? Would love to join if I can figure out how to get this back hub fixed in time

Latest posts

Back