JC Higgins?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like puzzles but this bike is driving me to the nut house. I have not been able to find another one like it. It looks mostly like an old spaceliner. With that Crome piece coming off the the front as a wheel support it sure could be. There is also a tag for a tanker that was likely on the bike. Can anyone nail this one? Tire size is 24x 1.75.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 305
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 289
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 301
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    363.5 KB · Views: 279
Nice frame, I agree it's Murray made. It could a couple of different brands, but still the same bike. Probably it's late 50's to early 60's. The serial MO means Murray of Ohio.

Yeah, Murray dropouts. I don't thing I've ever seen that frame with twin mid and top tubes though.
Cool bike.

That is a Flightliner frame.

CORRECTION:
I was wrong with this statement. "It's different from a Flightliner frame, because those had twin cantilever mid tubes that became the seatstays." .

Last edited:
Ya I have looked through a ton of pics -- I love a mystery but this is crazy!!!

So no way it is a space liner? I found a couple of pics that made it look close.

So no way it is a space liner? I found a couple of pics that made it look close.

No, the mid tubes on Spaceliner frames are a lot different.

20120930_172419.jpg

Good eye @sludgeguy .
@Hitman44 , Looking back at that one and other Flightliner pics, the frame you have is definitely from the Flightliner family built by Murray.

Wow -- that does look almost exactly like what I have -- the only difference is the one less hole on the crank pattern.

Good eye @sludgeguy .
@Hitman44 , Looking back at that one and other Flightliner pics, the frame you have is definitely from the Flightliner family built by Murray.
So I may never know what model it was? So I should just restore it into whatever I want?

So I may never know what model it was? So I should just restore it into whatever I want?

Exactly, it's RRB. Build what makes you happy and have fun. Don't worry about this part matching that part, etc. Those are cool frames.
If you're looking for any inspiration, take a look at the BURIED TREASURE GALLERY link at the bottom of my signature.

Wow -- that does look almost exactly like what I have -- the only difference is the one less hole on the crank pattern.
Probably due to the bike being a 24" frame size. I have a similar frame in a 26" size. I'm guessing that mine is a Western Flyer version of a Murray frame. I don't think that my crank is correct, but sprocket probably is.
009.JPG
011.JPG
012.JPG
008.JPG

I totally missed that this was a 24" frame.

From what I've read, having an MOR serial would be 1959 model.
Thanks, I included my ser # just for comparison. I couldn't read Hitman's serial # very well. If it is a MOS-* then it would be built for Sears, making it a JC Higgins. Also, what year did they stop stamping on the bottom bracket and start stamping on the dropout?
p.s. sorry about the hijack.

Thanks, I included my ser # just for comparison. I couldn't read Hitman's serial # very well. If it is a MOS-* then it would be built for Sears, making it a JC Higgins. Also, what year did they stop stamping on the bottom bracket and start stamping on the dropout?
p.s. sorry about the hijack.
There are websites that show the Murray serial numbers, and a few say 1965 was the year they went from the BB to the dropout, but then others have shown where they were stamping the dropout before then.
I'd sure like to talk to the people who made those bikes, for Murray and Schwinn, CWC, to get the straight story, if they are still around. I'll need a lot of dough to travel around hunting them down.

Ross also made a frame back then that looked almost identical, only the dropouts gave it away as being Ross, if you didn't have anything but the frame. Ross had 3 holes in the headtube, one bigger in the middle under the head badge. Since there aren't a lot of them, it's perfect for a one of a kind rat! I wish I had a frame like that to work with!

Latest posts

Back